4/4 Red Oak KD Lumber Run?

Which date works best for you for pickup?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I need several boards... Strong quartersawn figure
8 1/2" wide Min. Shorts 2' - 5' are OK.... and easier to fit in the Jeep. 4/4 or 8/4 are OK.

Would you guys have anything like this?

Thanks

John

Hi John - welcome to NCWoodworker!

I noticed your posting regarding the red oak lumber, and figured that this would be a good opportunity to let you and some of our other new members know how the lumber runs operate.

The lumber runs are an NCWoodworker Club event, and Jeff does not advertise them outside of North Carolina Woodworker. He will make a posting (such as this one), and depending upon the interest establish a “lumber run”. In the past Jeff has done Oak, sycamore (QS), walnut, maple, hickory, etc. NCWoodworkers will respond and let Jeff know how much wood they are interested in, and he mills accordingly.

Typically a few folks will sign up for wood after the run has sold out, and Jeff will place their names on a “standby” list. Almost always a few people that reserved wood will have to cancel their reservation, so the standby orders are usually fulfilled.

Usually Jeff hosts 2 – 3 lumber runs per year, depending upon interest, time and kiln availability. For kiln drying quality reasons, the entire load needs to be the same species and thickness of wood.

Typically a lumber run is comprised of somewhere between 2000 – 4000 bd ft of 5/4 boards. When milling oak or sycamore, Jeff will mill as much QS as possible with the remainder as FS. Jeff selects high quality logs, but the lumber is "log run" which means that there will be a mixture of #1C, #2C, Select and FAS in the load. Jeff usually applies end sealer the day that he receives the logs (and sometimes the day that the logs are harvested), mills them, and delivers them to my kiln in short order so as to maximize quality. Oak boards are usually in the kiln for 4 weeks, give or take, depending upon the wood and drying rate necessary for the best quality.

2 – 3 weeks before the boards are ready to come out of the kiln we schedule a pickup event at my farm, and everybody comes out on the morning that the kiln is unloaded. We usually try to make this on a Saturday, starting mid morning and lasting until the kiln is emptied (takes around 3 – 4 hours). The club members register with Jeff when they arrive, and as the carts come out of the kiln they are unloaded by the purchasers. Usually the folks will go in order based upon when they arrived that morning.

We do not separate the boards based upon size or quality when they go into the kiln; rather they are loaded based upon how they came off of Jeff's mill. On some loads, I will have some of my lumber mixed in for other customers (typically their own logs that I milled for them - usually something special such as a log from granddad's farm, etc), and these boards are not for sale. They will be both marked and also stacked together - such as all contained on one cart or all placed either on the bottom or the top of the stacks on the individual carts.

Hope that this helps, and we hope to see you at the run!

Scott

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Are the boards S2S before the kiln? or simply one edge ripped straight?
(Sorry, this is a learning experience before the kiln is opened)

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Are the boards S2S before the kiln? or simply one edge ripped straight?
(Sorry, this is a learning experience before the kiln is opened)

Tom, they are all rough sawn. Because of the movement that may occur during the drying process, typically boards are KD rough and then processed into S2S or S4S afterward.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Scott and Jeff,

Do you have any idea as to the timing of this run?

Sometime in August or September?

Thanks for doin' this for us again!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Wayne

ednl

ed
Senior User
Jeff - thanks for offering this red oak... your lumber has always been "best-of-the-best" far as I'm concerned... would really appreciate 50 bf of 4/4 QS... thanks again -
ed

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
Count me in for 75-100bf flat sawn. Honestly, i don't even know what that looks like. I know the formulas, and how to figure it, but how much it actually is, is beyond me. I just know that's what I can afford. I'm a lumber run virgin!!!

Jeff, sending pm.

M

McRabbet

Count me in for 75-100bf flat sawn. Honestly, i don't even know what that looks like. I know the formulas, and how to figure it, but how much it actually is, is beyond me. I just know that's what I can afford. I'm a lumber run virgin!!!

Jeff, sending pm.

Matt -- 100 BF is twenty six-inch wide 4/4 (=1") boards, each ten feet long. 75 BF is fifteen such boards.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I need several boards...
Strong quartersawn figure
8 1/2" wide Min
Shorts 2' - 5' are OK.... and easier to fit in the Jeep.
4/4 or 8/4 are OK.

Would you guys have anything like this?

Thanks

John

John the lumber will be 4/4 thick, random width and 8' long I'm sure there will be some boards that meet what your looking for.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff

Jeff, sending pm.

Well we all were virgins once :rotflm:Seriously, we'll treat you more than fair. When it comes to 4/4 thick lumber it's sometimes easier to think of a board foot as a square foot.

The "formula" to calculate board foot is thickness (in inches) x width (in inches) x length (in feet) / 12. I'm not so technical when it comes to lumber since I usually mess up with the calculator anyways (small buttons / big fingers) So I resort to whacking the stack and apply Granville County math. Like I know three rows and a couple of boards in the back of a full size Pick Up = about 100BF and I can tell by looking at the end of a board if it was QS or FS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS