Search results

1. H

Hand plane question...

When I was a kid starting out my father only let me use just the basic of hand tools. I can remember saying "I can't wait till I'm older so can use those power tools". Now that I'm a few years older, when finessing projects I find myself gravitating back to using hand tools and those basic...
  2. H

Stanley 62 in need of love. Opinions please! (Picture heavy)

Update: Well I've done it, after much deliberation I'm venturing down the road to fix this thing. In the end I will not have saved much money repairing this tool but at least I will have the satisfaction of saving it from the land of misfit tools. The Wood River blade is almost an exact...
  3. H

Apologies for the delay and thanks for all of the responses and links. The general consensus confirms my suspicions that it's an ugly baby. Perhaps in the future I will make an attempt to resurrect this tool and learn some new skills along the way. I already have some thoughts on how I...
  4. H

So I happened to come into a Stanley No. 62 for a price that was really hard to pass on. There are however a few problems with the plane, while I'm not afraid of doing some work to get this thing back up and running, at some point I question is it worth it? Even though this is not what I would...
  5. H

Help with hand Plane identification

Thanks! It was a great experience as I got to try new to me methods. I used sand paper to bring back the body, apple cider vinegar for the small hardware then electrolysis for the blade, chip breaker and cap.
  6. H

Thanks for all of the great answers. This place truly is a wealth of knowledge. My neighbor recently gifted an old No 4 Stanley under one condition....it must be cleaned up. Really need to start taking photos before work is started. Found this on the net, its pretty close the...
  7. H

I have a friend wanting to clean up these planes but doesn't know who the manufacturer is that produced them. He said the only marking on the jack plane was it's made in USA. Can anyone help with me here?
  8. H

Festool CT26 bag change frequency?

The dust deputy works so well it causes me to not inspect my vacuums near as much as I should. On occasion I've had holes open up in the CT26 bag where the bag fabric and cardboard port fitting join. On average I've been getting 2-3 years of life out of each disposable bag.
  9. H

Dewalt planers

Do yourself a favor and should you decide on the 735 invest in the duelen jig. I have sharpened my blades numerous times now with no ill effects. $55 for a set of blades adds up quick.
  10. H

Is a glue scraper the best way to deal with glue?

I'm in the same boat as you. I usually chisel it off in corners. I believe Fine woodworking just had an article talking about how they pre waxed the parts first and then it just peels away as long as you catch it in the soft stage.
  11. H

Free hand drilling on lathe?

I have had success using small drill bits by stripping about an inch off the jacket of a piece of wire and placing the bit into said jacket then chuck it up and drill away.
  12. H

Festool

Ouch, dangerous road. I always found it most effective to guilt her into letting me get a new tool. Such as "this is better for my health", you do want me to be healthy don't you. "This can make me more effecient" just don't use the word will. And my favorite for large buys. I need this...
  13. H

Festool

I believe the 125 only has one option. However I really don't find it slow. Then again I have not had an aggressive sander to compare it to either. Just the basic Porter Cables from Lowes which can rattle your teeth loose in comparison to the Festool. As long as I go through the grits...
  14. H

Festool

I've got the 125 and the ct 26 combo. My vac is under the bench and coupled with a dust deputy. Been using for for 2 years now and have yet to change the bag. Unless you use it without the DD I see no need for 36 taking up the vertical space. Be sure to turn down the vac pressure for optimal...
  15. H

Grinder stand assistance

thanks everyone for the replies. I am going to go with the cabinet type. Now I just need to find time in between all of the other projects that need to be done to start this one.
  16. H

Grinder stand assistance

Just got a new 8 inch grinder this weekend with the oneway grinder attachments. Now I am looking at putting it on a portable stand with a 6 inch grinder as well. Just curious what others have done and if people that have build a cabinet style wished they built a pedestal version now flip it to...
  17. H

best woodworking gifts for 50 or less?

In a situation like this I would walk into the local store and look around. Fondle many items and those that you say "wow this is cool and I could legitimately utilize" Then you look at the price and say "whoa! not cool" Those are the best gifts. Now don't get me wrong I shop for need as...
  18. H

Toys for Tots project

Kudos on the project. Words cannot express how those families that are without will cherish these. As a USMC veteran that has stood by the donation booths in the past this warms my heart to see how much people care. This is very inspiring to me and I hope that next year I can assemble such a...
  19. H

Hand sharpening machine planer blades

I have got the "12 inch deulen jig" and it works great for my jointer and "disposable" dewalt planer knives. The three knives thing is not all that bad. It just takes a little patience. Let say you have 3 knives and assume it takes 30 even pressure strokes per grit to shapen each blade. You...
  20. H

Rough cut pine near New Bern/Vanceboro?

Glad I could help. Also give Precision Moulding & Woodworks, Inc. a call. I have not had a chance to go there yet so I can't tell you what the have. One day I will have to mosey on over there and check out there facility.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors