Help with hand Plane identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockey1

New User
Jesse
I have a friend wanting to clean up these planes but doesn't know who the manufacturer is that produced them. He said the only marking on the jack plane was it's made in USA. Can anyone help with me here?

Hand Planes.jpg

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Not sure about the maker but those totes look newer than the rest of the Jack Plane. The block plane looks like one I have that was made by Sears Craftsman, but without a lot more information that is a wild guess. It looks to have an adjustable throat.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
More pictures would be helpful.

On the block plane, check the iron and possibly the underside of the lever cap for markings. There could also be something cast into the base in front of the depth adjuster.

The jack plane looks to be a newer, lower end model, based on the plastic handles and phillips screws. Is the depth adjustment fork two piece steel? Also, check to see if the frog is stamped steel or cast iron. There may also be a makers stamp on the iron once the surface rust is removed.

Irons are replaceable, so that may not be an accurate indicator of the manufacturer, but it might provide a clue.

donald.woolley

New User
Donald
The one in back is a Corsair jack by Great Neck Tools back in the 60s or early 70s. I think that it is the model C-5, but I won't swear to that.

donald.woolley

New User
Donald
Actually, now that I think about it, it should say either Corsair or Great Neck (or both) on the lever cap. Even if the lever cap is blank, the tote and knob still scream Great Neck. The difference is that they would have made it for some other company to brand as their own.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Actually, now that I think about it, it should say either Corsair or Great Neck (or both) on the lever cap. Even if the lever cap is blank, the tote and knob still scream Great Neck. The difference is that they would have made it for some other company to brand as their own.

Yes, that is the brand name I was trying to think of. I have many Great Neck planes listed on eBay over the years.

donald.woolley

New User
Donald
As I look closer at the photo, I can see a depression on the cap that would have had a sticker that said Master Mechanic, or Ace, or Buck Brothers, or Tru-Test or ...(it is a long list).

GeorgeM

New User
George
I have one just like that and it is a Corsair. The knob and tote are plastic It has made a good scrub plane.

donald.woolley

New User
Donald
There is a good chance that the unmarked 9 1/2 clone is a Great Neck G1. The later ones that they put out used a diecast zinc alloy for the cap, but I think that the earlier ones were cast iron. There is a picture of my Great Neck #16 clone at https://www.pinterest.com/pin/139752394658584215/ (The Stanley 9 1/2 and 16 were the same plane with the 16 having a plated cap.) The slight depressions for the Handi-Grip seem to match as well.

hockey1

New User
Jesse
Thanks for all of the great answers. This place truly is a wealth of knowledge.

My neighbor recently gifted an old No 4 Stanley under one condition....it must be cleaned up. Really need to start taking photos before work is started.

Found this on the net, its pretty close the condition of the one given.
hand plane 3.jpg

After the clean up.
hand plane 1.jpg
hand plane 2.jpg

hockey1

New User
Jesse
Thanks! It was a great experience as I got to try new to me methods. I used sand paper to bring back the body, apple cider vinegar for the small hardware then electrolysis for the blade, chip breaker and cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS