Free hand drilling on lathe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick M

New User
Rick
Sounds crazy to me except I saw a guy on youtube do it on by holding the drill bit with vice grips and hand feeding it into the end of a spindle. He said the rotation will keep the drill centered and he didn't have any problems. My question is, how do you feel about this? The reason I ask, I've almost completed my first lathe project, a tool handle, and need to drill the hole but I do not have a drill chuck. As my tailstock is a 0MT, drill chucks to fit are not cheap and it may be awhile before I can afford one.

Which is another question: I see chucks come in different sizes, is there a reason not to just get a mid size chuck that will hold up to a 1/2" bit? Or put another way, is there any reason to buy the small chucks?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I use the vise grip method all the time for small holes. My lathe has a #4 MT in the tailstock so I have a large drill chuck for it and use it for boring large holes. But, anything up to 1/2 inch or so I use the vise grips.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
I've seen on bowl demonstrations using a 1/2" or 3/8" bit mounted in a handle to drill to your center depth I've never done but i plan to make one in the near future and hope to quit gouging out the bottom of my bowls

Rick M

New User
Rick
Thanks. Later I saw this video where a guy uses a drill bit in a handle like you mention Phil.

[video=youtube;9P8GuHF0J94]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P8GuHF0J94[/video]

Rick M

New User
Rick
Went for it and it worked fine. This saves me from buying a drill chuck for a little while. I have 3 socket chisels on the way and only one handle so I made this one as practice. This is an old (Stanley?) chisel that I rarely use because it's junk.

vizgLl.jpg

dTpUhl.jpg

aplpickr

New User
Bill
My wife turns several hundred ornaments per year. She uses #58 holes for the hanging eyes. Most chucks do not hold these small bits well. We turned some handles and glued in the bits. Works good!

chesterboyd

New User
chester
sure you can drill it on the lathe, but does it need to be that precise? I just drill with a hand drill and the work piece held in my vise. It isn't centered but still works fine. As far as why to but small chucks-----most large chucks will not hole very small bits.

Rick M

New User
Rick
Well it was very easy to drill it on the lathe so why not and have a centered hole. I hand drilled the old dowel handle and have been looking at a crooked chisel for 10 years, I wasn't going to do that again!

hockey1

New User
Jesse
My wife turns several hundred ornaments per year. She uses #58 holes for the hanging eyes. Most chucks do not hold these small bits well. We turned some handles and glued in the bits. Works good!

I have had success using small drill bits by stripping about an inch off the jacket of a piece of wire and placing the bit into said jacket then chuck it up and drill away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS