best woodworking gifts for 50 or less?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
I would go crazy making a decision like that! One thought is a good apron. I say that only because my current one is to the point where I either need to do some repairs or replace it. It is something I use anytime I'm actually working :)rotflm:) on a project.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would like a ceiling to floor/wall to wall shop dust and sweep.

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Here are some suggestions:

1. Subscription to one of the ww magazine
2. Whole year of Shop Notes on DVD for $30.00
3. Carving knife $30-$40
4. Combination square $12+
5. Stanley low angle block plane $45
6. Flush cutting saw $25
7. Hold fast $20
8. Clamps $15+
9. Cabinet scrapers $5-$15
10. Dial Caliper $20
11. Rockler LED worklight with spotlight $20
12. Magnetic featherboard $35

Steve H.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Barely sneaking under:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11332&site=ROCKLER

a general comment on why, that applies to a lot of gifts...

I don't think it is worth $50. Consequently, unless it goes on sale and I happen to catch it, I will likely never own one unless it was a gift. But if I did on one, I would likely use it a lot. Sometimes bad deals on useful products made good gifts because people won't buy them for themselves. How is that for odd logic? :D

Transplanted

New User
Stan
Numerous <$50. toys I put on Santa's list are:
Small music radio ($39+)
Kreg pocket hole jig ($30+)
Clamps (HD has small bag of about 9 assorted for $20)
Wood chisel's ($45+)
Brass Template guides ($28)
Rockler Shop Vac hose kit ($41)
Rockler Bench Cookies ($14)
Anything else with the words "wood", or "tool" will suffice.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
One more note - earlier I suggested that you should get something that isn't a great value, because it is something a WW'er probably would not get for himself. Please note that Bas is exempt from this rule; there is nothing he cannot justify. So if he is your recipient, good luck... :rotflm:

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
The tool I use the most is the saddle square from Lee Valley. Any woodworker would appreciate having one and it definitely is less than $50.

Roy G

hockey1

New User
Jesse
In a situation like this I would walk into the local store and look around. Fondle many items and those that you say "wow this is cool and I could legitimately utilize" Then you look at the price and say "whoa! not cool" Those are the best gifts. Now don't get me wrong I shop for need as well. Just many of those gee whiz items people have, come this way.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Japanese flush cut saw $8.99 - this one here from HF is sharp as a box of razor blades - not only does it cut wood like butter - you can also use to to carve your turkey :). Most stuff at HF ain't even worth even thinking about. However I believe this to be an exception to the rule.

Also Machinist squares $49.99 one of my first "assignments" way back when - after I graduated to grinding as a machinist was to make my own squares - $49.99 for a good set of machinist squares is a steal and a half...

JohnW

New User
John
It's become a tradition....Every Christmas my son gives me a "Hunk-O-Wood". Typically 5-8 BF of red heart or zebra wood. Last year it was purple heart. He can't believe that REAL WOOD COMES IN COLORS:D. Once I think he can afford it...I'm putting Kingwood on my wish list.

cskipper

Cathy
Lots of great ideas. If I knew the person was a scroller I'd probably invest in a gift card for scroll saw supplies - e.g. flying dutchman blades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS