Festool

Status
Not open for further replies.

kclark

New User
Kevin
I know there was an earlier thread about Festool and what they were all about. So I won't go there. I however am very impressed with their products. I am in particular looking at getting the RO Sander most likely the 125 and not 150. But not sure about which canister/vac to get. I was looking at the 26 but also considering the 36. For those of you that have them what is your HO?

Matt Furjanic

Matt
Senior User
I use the RTS400EQ sander with the Midi dust collector. I can sand in my living room and the air will probably be cleaner when I'm done! It is hard to see that sanding is actually being accomplished as there is no indication that sanding is being done, with no dust apparent. All you get is the result. The sanding is no more efficient than a common palm sander, but the dust collection is simply amazing. The only negative thing I can say about it is the cost. If you can justify the cost, this is the way to go.

bwat

New User
Bill
If sanding dust is all you will be extracting with the RO125 the larger vac is no major advantage. If you begin using the vac with a router, domino or other devices that generate more waste that the advantages of a larger capacity may come into play.

The RO125 in the agressive mode when combined with good sandpaper will blow away the performance of an average sander, IMO.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I use the RO150 w/ the Mini collector and the dust control is outstanding. I don't use the Mini for any other operations, so it is completely adequate.

Bill

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I use a CT22 as my only shop vac. I've used it with the ETS125, RS2E, Track Saw and for general clean up. It works great for everything I have thrown at it. I use a Dust Deputy with it so I don't have to replace the bags as often. The only advantage that I see with getting something larger than the Mini/Midi is that you don't need to change bags as often and the bags are cheaper in terms of $/unit volume. The other difference is that you can't connect a boom arm to the Mini or Midi, if you ever decided to go that route.

Jeremy

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I have a General International shop vac. On high, this thing will suck gophers out'a their holes. I'm not sanding inside homes. I guess if you're a instalation contractor working in occupied homes the Festool set up is for you. In the shop, a shop vac is more than enough.

Pop

hockey1

New User
Jesse
I've got the 125 and the ct 26 combo. My vac is under the bench and coupled with a dust deputy. Been using for for 2 years now and have yet to change the bag. Unless you use it without the DD I see no need for 36 taking up the vertical space. Be sure to turn down the vac pressure for optimal results.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I've got the 125 and the ct 26 combo. My vac is under the bench and coupled with a dust deputy. Been using for for 2 years now and have yet to change the bag. Unless you use it without the DD I see no need for 36 taking up the vertical space. Be sure to turn down the vac pressure for optimal results.

Do you have the 125/3 or 125/5? I picked up the 125/3 used and it leaves a really smooth surface, but it seems to be really slow.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have the exact setup as Bill Clemmons and I cannot say enough about how well it performs. All my other sanders are now obsolete

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Same setup as Phil and Bill. Just as satisfied. I'm not a copycat, we got there by different paths, but I bet none of us regret the journey.

My favorite saying about Festool is I've always agonized over the price but never regretted the purchase once made.

- Ken.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I have both the 125 and 150 sanders, which I use with the CT26 and I have nothing but positive comments. As you know, the 150 is a much more aggressive sander than the 125, so keep that in mind when you make your purchase. I also use the CT 26 with the domino with no problem. Festool products are pricy, but their performance is hard to beat.

Donn

hockey1

New User
Jesse
I believe the 125 only has one option. However I really don't find it slow. Then again I have not had an aggressive sander to compare it to either. Just the basic Porter Cables from Lowes which can rattle your teeth loose in comparison to the Festool. As long as I go through the grits progressively I have had no problems. As a side note I never find myself dialing down the speed either.
Since some of the other Porter cable tools have clearance issues with the Festool hose I found that the Festool hose also neatly nests inside the Porter Cable accesory hose quite nicely.

Oh yeah and the abranet I give it two hammer stricken thumbs up with this sander too. Especially on woods and finishes that tend to load sand paper. I get zero loading and outstanding life out of each disc. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Check out the mirka Ceros sanders too, I have only demo'd them but I can't wait for my PC 390 to break! The performance was excellent.

kclark

New User
Kevin
I know I will get the 125 RO Sander, I just haven't made up my mind about which DC. there is a $40 difference between the CT26 & 36.

I appreciate everyone's responses, you are definitely making me feel better about spending the money. I will still hide it from the wife for a while. But I do have another question. With regards to the sanding progression and finishing, does everyone sand to a certain point then apply finish and go further up the line or finish like the norm and sand from there. I know I saw Rick at the woodworking source sand up to 4000, I believe it was, and it looked like glass. But what do you guys do?

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I know I will get the 125 RO Sander, I just haven't made up my mind about which DC. there is a $40 difference between the CT26 & 36.

I appreciate everyone's responses, you are definitely making me feel better about spending the money. I will still hide it from the wife for a while. But I do have another question. With regards to the sanding progression and finishing, does everyone sand to a certain point then apply finish and go further up the line or finish like the norm and sand from there. I know I saw Rick at the woodworking source sand up to 4000, I believe it was, and it looked like glass. But what do you guys do?

I start with 80 grit, then 120 grit, then finish with 180 grit (I don't see any swirl marks and the wood feel really smooth, but I am using the ETS125/3, so things might be different with the RO125). Then I sand between finish coats with 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper by hand.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
I start with 80 grit, then 120 grit, then finish with 180 grit (I don't see any swirl marks and the wood feel really smooth, but I am using the ETS125/3, so things might be different with the RO125). Then I sand between finish coats with 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper by hand.

+1 on the 600 grit (wet) between coats...the difference is amazing and results in a finish that is silky smooth.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
One thing to pay attention to is the proper amount of suction with sanders connected to vacs. Full suction is not as efficient as a lower amount of suction. If you don't want to go the Festool dust collector route you can put a Cleanstream HEPA filter on most bigger shop vac types(~$30 at Lowes) and regulate the suction like this:
Picture 001.jpgPicture 002.jpg

hockey1

New User
Jesse
I will still hide it from the wife for a while.

Ouch, dangerous road. I always found it most effective to guilt her into letting me get a new tool. Such as "this is better for my health", you do want me to be healthy don't you. "This can make me more effecient" just don't use the word will. And my favorite for large buys. I need this tool to do the job YOU want me to do. The list of excuses I mean reasons goes on.

As far as sanding progression, usually off the planer I can start at 80-120 and usually end around 150-220. I believe above 220 you start to get into absorbancy issues in the wood. I'm sure there are far further educated people other than myself that can assist as well.

kclark

New User
Kevin
Bought a RO 125 & CT36 last week from Rick at The Woodworking Source. I used it last night to do some sanding and man that thing is SWWEEEET!!!!! I definitely don't think I will regret this purchase.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Kevin, I know how you feel; however, you may now be on a slippery-slope. Once you have experienced a Festool product you often feel the need for another!

Congratulations!
Donn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS