Hand plane question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Was gonna say me, but then I realized I just built a bathroom vanity and used almost every hand tool I have.

attachment.php

And every power tool too...

Attachments

• B6F8233C-4CC3-41F2-B68B-F05624318CB7.jpg
    B6F8233C-4CC3-41F2-B68B-F05624318CB7.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 308

bash

New User
bash
I want to move more to hand tools. Have started (barely), but still tend to lean back on power tools. I believe one the biggest things holding me back is learning to sharpen well.
I am currently practicing my first hand cut half blind dovetails (preparing for upcoming drawer build for some end tables under construction). I am hoping these can be made completely with hand tools - we'll see.
Next on the hand tool list is more use of hand planes.

hockey1

New User
Jesse
When I was a kid starting out my father only let me use just the basic of hand tools. I can remember saying "I can't wait till I'm older so can use those power tools". Now that I'm a few years older, when
finessing projects
I find myself gravitating back to using hand tools and those basic skills I learned as a boy.

Will I give up my power tools....no way. I prefer to think the power tools are complimentary to hand tools just as well as the hand tools are complimentary to power tools. They all have a home and place in my workshop.

Bash - once a keen edge has been established my favorite sharpening aid has been a charged leather strop (very forgiving). At the first sign of a dulling edge I'll give the tool a couple of passes on the strop and its good as new. I find it's a whole lot easier to keep an edge honed than to let it get dull and have to re-sharpen.

StephenK

New User
Stephen
Right up there, hockey1 said what needs to be said - the more often you sharpen, the less time you spend sharpening...plus you get a break from repetition....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS