Spindle Gouge Handle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Shortly after I got my lathe Mike Davis mailed me some old lathe chisels he had and a 3/8" spindle gouge (without a handle) that he made 20 years ago.

I finally got a chance to make a handle for the gouge. It is made from Brazilian Mahogany, curly maple and walnut. The mahogany was actually some hardwood flooring that I got from a neighbor that installs carpet and hardwood floors. He had a box of the mahogany left over from a job and was cleaning out his storage space and was going to toss it in the trash. It is now resting peacefully in my garage. :lol:

DSC05329.JPG

Now I have to sharpen it and give it a test run. Thanks Mike.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That's excellent Dolan. Where did you get your ferrule?
You know I have to say it....It's too pretty to use :lol::lol::lol:

Dave:)

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
That's excellent Dolan. Where did you get your ferrule?
You know I have to say it....It's too pretty to use :lol::lol::lol:

Dave:)

Dave I got the ferrule at my local ACE Hardware store. It is a 3/4" couple & stop (I call them unions) for copper pipe. I cut if off to the length of the tenon on the handle. It cost $.59. :lol: If I had made the tenon just a little shorter I could have made two ferrules out of one of the unions. $.295 each. Pretty cheap huh. So I have a 3/8" spindle gouge that cost me $.59 if you don't count the $14.99 3/8" x 12" drill bit I bought to drill the hole in the handle. :lol: The bit might be handy for future projects.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
That is just to darn cool! You did a great job :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap. I just gotta do that one day.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Nice looking handle. Is the ferrule press fit or is there a brad?

Steve

Steve, I cut the tenon so that the ferrule would be a snug fit that had to be tapped on with a small hammer. After I use it some I will know if I have to put a brad on something to hold it on. This is my first so it is a learning experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS