Mike Davis
rcflyer23
Badabing
ptt49er
ccccarving
Ed Nelson
cskipper - Maybe
WoodWrangler - Maybe

No need to PM me - I'll send everyone directions next week.

Everyone - just bring what you have. I have not done any carving "in-the-round". Charlie is the expert in that area! With such a diverse group we can start off with a brief intro to the different types of carving and the tools needed for each and see where we go from there. Hopefully Charlie will bring some samples of his work.

pete

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Where can I get some Basswood from in the area? HF has a cheap set of Carving tools, I know you get what you pay for but would those be okay for this event just to have something to work with?

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Where can I get some Basswood from in the area? HF has a cheap set of Carving tools, I know you get what you pay for but would those be okay for this event just to have something to work with?

NO NO NOT HF !!!!
I have enough gouges and knives that anyone can borrow for the day. Try a few different styles and see what you like.

This set is what I started with;
http://www.littleshavers.com/BegKit.html
It's a good deal. If anyone is interested I will sell my set as I sprung for the Flexcut bundle and it includes duplicates of the set.

Woodcraft has basswood boards of carving blanks but I'd suggest holding off till you figure out what you want to do. I have enough wood for everyone to play with and maybe some others can also bring some.

pete

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
So the HF set is pretty good huh? Pete I appreciate this. I am looking forward to starting into this. I will try a few different ones and see what is right for me. That kit looks pretty nice. I will see you guys next weekend then.

Kevin

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
If anyone is interested I will sell my set as I sprung for the Flexcut bundle and it includes duplicates of the set.

So Pete, how much should I start talking the wife into letting me spend? That looks like a good deal new, so getting this one from you sounds like a great deal!

Thanks!!

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
So Pete, how much should I start talking the wife into letting me spend?

That is a dangerous question. The carving slope is just as slippery as . . . well, it's real slippery :wink_smil

What to buy really depends on what you want to carve. Individual gouges at woodcraft are in the $20-$35 range and considered pretty good. Most people recommend 10-12 as a starting point. I have the Flexcut starter set that has 17 cutting tools with 3 different changeable handles that lists for $180. I made my own handles from scrap and so far I like them. But they are not real heavy duty, so like I said; it depends on what you want to carve. Then there's the power carvers and flex shaft carvers and chain saw carvers and on and on . . . Well, you get my point :tool:

pete

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
I had a feelin' that's what you were going to tell me. :-D

I was meaning for your little shavers kit.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
As of now here's the list:

Mike Davis
rcflyer23
Badabing
ptt49er
ccccarving
Ed Nelson
NC Scroller - Maybe
cskipper - Maybe
WoodWrangler - Maybe

No need to PM me - I'll send everyone directions next week.

Everyone - just bring what you have. I have not done any carving "in-the-round". Charlie is the expert in that area! With such a diverse group we can start off with a brief intro to the different types of carving and the tools needed for each and see where we go from there. Hopefully Charlie will bring some samples of his work.

pete

Pete, please take me off the list. The 27th will not work for me. Thanks for setting this up.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
How about lunch?

I'll bring the hot dogs and some chili. Anyone else want to bring the buns, chips, cheese, drinks etc.?

Pete, can we borrow your grill or a fryin' pan?

MikeH

Mike
Corporate Member
I'm potentially in....Woodwrangler invited a few of us to carpool to the Southern Raleigh shopcrawl, but I think staying in town could possibly be a better option. I'll have to check with my wife to see what she has planned. I'll let you know.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Pete's right about that slope. In fact, the one good thing about the cheapest HF set is that it might scare you away. I was (and sometimes still am) the king of cheap tools. A lot of the cheap ones are okay when sharpened properly. But my wife bought me a Pfiel gouge as a gift and it may be my ruin. I decided I wanted decent chip carving knives. I could have gotten a chip carving set for $10 on eBay, but I went to Woodcraft and got Pfiels. Right out of the package they are so sharp you don't have to cut the wood; just show it the pattern and threaten it. :) I honed them anyway, just for good measure (and so Mike won't chastise me :) ).

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
For lunch I was thinking Wolfman Pizza. It's close and has a great selection of beverages as well. It was pretty popular with the crawl group :icon_thum

Should we vote on it? :icon_scra

pete

How about lunch?

I'll bring the hot dogs and some chili. Anyone else want to bring the buns, chips, cheese, drinks etc.?

Pete, can we borrow your grill or a fryin' pan?

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I PM'd everyone (I think I got everyone) with my address and cell number.

Looking forward to seeing everyone. Should be fun! :eusa_danc

If I missed anyone or if anyone else wants to come just PM or post and I'll send directions. Everyone is welcome.

pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS