Charlotte Carving Get Together ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsone

New User
Ed
As much as I wanted to head to the mountains, I don't think I'll be able to.

I think the 25th will work over at Pete's.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
All you need for the coasters is a chip carving knife.
Wayne Barton's are a favorite.
http://www.fandfwoodcarving.com/chip.htm
I have the flexcut which is good but I'd like a little more angle on the blade.

pete

Oh I am so all over that. I will read through the article between now and then. What kind of wood would you use basswood? I think these are going to actually end up being put together as a wall hanging.

Kevin

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Someone asked about chip knives (buried in there somewhere; saw it in email)...

I got the Pfiel 2 piece "set" and I am pleased with it. I am not good at it yet, but the knife is not the problem. :)

nelsone

New User
Ed
Oh I am so all over that. I will read through the article between now and then. What kind of wood would you use basswood? I think these are going to actually end up being put together as a wall hanging.

Kevin

If they are not going to be used as actual coasters, I would go with basswood, white pine, or aspen (which I actually found at Lowes on S. Tryon!) You can get the Pheil knives at Woodcraft if you don't want to wait on shipping. I have them, but haven't tried anything with them yet so I can't give any opinion on them.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
If they are not going to be used as actual coasters, I would go with basswood, white pine, or aspen (which I actually found at Lowes on S. Tryon!) You can get the Pheil knives at Woodcraft if you don't want to wait on shipping. I have them, but haven't tried anything with them yet so I can't give any opinion on them.

I will have to look at the lowes over in Huntersville to see if they have it. If not I can run down to S. Tryon and the over to Woodcraft. :) Yeah I can't decide what I want to get. I need to just go to WC and pick up a few of them and see what feels right. Yeah I don't believe the wife plans on using them as coasters. If she wants some as coasters I can always make more. They are putting a new gigantic lowes on Concord Mills Blvd that I wish would hurry up and open. Anyway.. Thanks for the info. I will look their. I also saw a good chunk of it over at Hobby Lobby the other night but I would have to cut it down on the bandsaw.

Kevin

cskipper

Cathy
I really really want to learn chip-carving!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is the Oct 25th going to be at the Klingspor show?????? That i could do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS