1st Lathe project: Cherry plant stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimThomasson

New User
Jim
After spending some time with DaveO and his patient mentoring, I put my new lathe to good use. The wife of the folks who gave me a ton of beautiful cherry last year mentioned that she would love to have a plant stand sometime, so, here it is.

You folks sure are right ...... lathework is a blast!!!!!

Let me know what you think!!!

ps7.JPG

ps2.JPG

sapwood

New User
Roger
Cool Jim!
The stand has lots of style and represents a larger skillset than turning :eusa_clap

Roger

JimThomasson

New User
Jim
Thanks Roger! I forgot to mention that the legs are attached using sliding dovetails. That was very tricky to do on round surfaces and keep them tight!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Jim, that is awesome. You didn't learn all that with me 8-O 8-O I saw a NYW episode where Naahm made a candle stand with dovetailed legs. He made a jig that sat on the router bed and allowed a router to first flatten the area of the center column where the legs would touch and then route the sliding DT. It looked pretty slick.
It does help to have an indexing lathe, though.
Dave:)

KC7CN

New User
Don
Very Nice! I am currently in the process of refurbishing an old Craftsman lathe, but did not have a clue as to what I would make with it -- now I do!

-Don

b4man

New User
Barbara
What a fantastic piece. The wood is beautiful and your design really shows off your talent:eusa_clap

JimThomasson

New User
Jim
Delivered the plant stand to my friends last night. Thankfully, she loved it! Whew!

Now .... the LOML says .... "I want one too!" :rolf:

.................. back to the lathe!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Delivered the plant stand to my friends last night. Thankfully, she loved it! Whew!

Now .... the LOML says .... "I want one too!" :rolf:

.................. back to the lathe!

Like there could be any doubt :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Dave:)

DavidF

New User
David
Your FIRST! blimy how can I follow that with the GW lathe? I had more like a pepper mill in mind! Maybe I'm not thinking big enough? If you hollowed out that leg and fitted a grinder THAT would make a pepper mill and a half!

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Your FIRST! blimy how can I follow that with the GW lathe? I had more like a pepper mill in mind! Maybe I'm not thinking big enough? If you hollowed out that leg and fitted a grinder THAT would make a pepper mill and a half!

I have seen some pepper mill hardware that doesn't have the central shaft, so length can be any that you choose, imagine a 30 inch mill?

skeeter

New User
Charles
Really nice plant stand. Design and finish really turned out good. You have set a high standard on your first project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS