1st Holiday Gift Done! - Gloat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Well,
Another first for this newbie. My first Holiday Gift with wood. It's a baseball plaque for my twin Godsons, Patrick &Ryan.

Boys_Plaque.JPG

My first larger turning! The bat itself was made from laminated White Oak, then resawed and then laminated to a Walnut mix. I scrolled the letters on my new/used Hawk 216VS SS. The baseballs were obtained from Play it Again Sports. I 'dimpled' out the wood to epoxy the balls onto base.

It's hard to believe that this is what I started with:

Bat_Blank_1.JPG

Totally fun because I did some flat, turning and scrolling !

The finish was 2 coats of poly-semi-gloss followed by 1 coat of HUT Pen-turners high speed polish. Can you do that? I don't know !

I'm loving the woodworking, thanks for looking,
Matt

Badabing

New User
Joe
Very impressive Matt! Did you come up with the idea yourself or see it in a magazine? I like it a lot! They look great and the contrasting woods are beautiful :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Very impressive Matt! Did you come up with the idea yourself or see it in a magazine? I like it a lot! They look great and the contrasting woods are beautiful :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I've not really seen it anywhere before, but I used to be a little-leaguer myself and really enjoyed my little wooden trophies. Of course when I was a kid, they still used wooden bats and aluminum ones were just starting to come on the scene. But what kid "woodn't" love to have his name on a baseball plaque, who knows, maybe even in the "Baseball Hall of Fame".

Thanks for the compliments!
Matt

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Matt I knew what you had planned. They came out even better then I had imagined.

GREAT JOB!!!!

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
No doubt they will be tickled with their gifts. You stretched a single turning into double goodies, and that is quite a score. But finish saw no runs. (I've struck out of additional baseball puns).

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very nice and very unique!!!:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

They will treasured for a nice long time, I bet!!!!

Wayne

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Those look great Matt! :icon_thum Sounds like a nice all around project. A little bit of everything. :thumbs_up

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
thats cool! the boys will love it.:icon_thum I've never turned a bat.:eusa_thin [couldnt get the little bugger to land there long enough! bring up the tailstock and POOF he's gone! ]:gar-La; is that a signed ball?:icon_scra nice display.

woodylarry

New User
Larry
NICE! job Matt. I really like the idea on the recessed scroll sawn letters. Gives it a real professional look.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
thats cool! the boys will love it.:icon_thum I've never turned a bat.:eusa_thin [couldnt get the little bugger to land there long enough! bring up the tailstock and POOF he's gone! ]:gar-La; is that a signed ball?:icon_scra nice display.

No, I didn't want to be presumptious, plus I never played professionally. Do you think I need permission/rights from the MLB ?:rotflm:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
No, I didn't want to be presumptious, plus I never played professionally. Do you think I need permission/rights from the MLB ?:rotflm:
I never played either but was thinking maybe the ball was obtained at a game or a ball signing.:gar-Bi

sawduster

New User
Robert
Very nicely done ! :eusa_clap

I really like the way you did the letters ....gonna steal that idea fer shure !

Did you do the routing on the panels as well ?

Very impressive work :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors