WTB Rough Cut 6/4 Oak

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxracer

New User
Dan
Hi guys,

I'm wanting to buy some rough cut oak to re-deck my trailer. Obviously doesn't need to be of furniture grade since it's only for a trailer.

I'll need 8" or 12" wide boards (or something I can make 8") as the deck is 96" wide.

I'll either need:
Twelve 18' and eight 10' boards
OR
Twelve 14' boards, eight 8' boards and eight 10' boards.

The deck is 18' long with a 5' dovetail and the "break" on the beams is at 14' and 18'.

I'm located in Lincolnton so somewhere close would be best.

Thanks
Dan

Skymaster

New User
Jack
dONT KNOW WHERE U R BUT SAW4YOU here on the Forum maybe able to help. Jack has a sawmill in
Rolesville

bwat

New User
Bill
Rick at the Woodworking Source in Mooresville has stacks of kiln dried oak. See ad at right.

smitty62

New User
Dick
You're certainly entitled to use whatever wood you choose, but oak is one of the least weather resistant woods there is--hard and tough, but IMO not good for exposure. I suggest locust, cucumber or treated pine.
Dick

smitty62

New User
Dick
Yes, Tarhead--cucumber. Member of the Magnolia family. I bought a trailer from a logger in Maryland in 1973 to haul a Farmall Cub on. He had used Cucumber for the trailer floor. It had the original floor when I sold it in 2001.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Cucumber Magnolia (Magnolia acuminata) is a common wood around here, but is pretty soft as Magnolia and Poplar have similar janka hardness properties. I would not recommend magnolia or Poplar for an open carry trailer that is exposed to weather or carrying load.

White Oak if treated with a sealant is pretty hearty. It was used in ship building for over a millennia.

Locust is also a good choice but you better install green. Pine will be replaced fairly soon if any heavy loads are used on the trailer.

kyle

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Yes, Tarhead--cucumber. Member of the Magnolia family. I bought a trailer from a logger in Maryland in 1973 to haul a Farmall Cub on. He had used Cucumber for the trailer floor. It had the original floor when I sold it in 2001.

Thanks Smitty!
I learned something today! Never heard of such a thing. Hope I not alone:embaresse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS