Workbench project: completed!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Re: Trestle Mania!!! (part deux)

insomniac said:
I glued the mortises, tenons, and the dowels. Same thing for the wedges. My thinking was to have as much glue surface as possible - I don't think the 3/8" dowels by themselves would be strong enough to stand up to the stresses of use and prevent joint failure down the road.

I need to finish cleaning up the other wedged tenons, and then I can use this nice flat surface to do the glueup for the top. I'll probably start on that this week.

Thanks Monty, I figured that is what you had done but I wanted to make sure after reading the part about "the M&T joinery is substantial and dead-blow mallet tight". I am still toying with Turbo CAD and understand it pretty well so far with the exception of fine tuning the renderings. Your WB plans you sent me have been a great teaching tool for me....thanks.

D L

M

McRabbet

I could swear I see penguin guano oozing out below those wedged tenons in your last picture -- you didn't come up with some new, fast, cold setting glue formula I hope....

Nice job, dude....

Rob

cpowell

New User
Chuck

Those bases are looking strong and clean, Monty, obviously the result of the meticulous pursuit of perfection on your part.

It was really nice of WG to let you practice on his first so you could use that experience to improve on the home field design!! :lol: :lol:

The wedge tenons look awesome!

Chuck

Monty

New User
Monty

Hehehe.... penguin quano makes lousy glue, but excellent wood filler!!! :mrgreen:

I think Woodguy was very thoughtful letting me practice making workbench bases with his wood... luckily, I was able to make all my mistakes before I started working on mine!!! :lol:

DL: CAD is a steep learning curve, but it's definitely worth the effort! I was able to play around and come up with a design that I think I'll be happy with... I think this is what mine will ultimately end up looking like:

wb-7.gif

Last edited:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames

Monty, here is what I have been able to create and assemble with Turbo CAD so far based on the plans you sent me.

D L

WorkBench.jpg

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Re: Insomniac's Workbench saga!

I have that same vise and love it. I also have a non-quick release but prefer the quick release hands down.

Monty

New User
Monty

Lookin' good, DL! :icon_thum Although..... it looks kind of familiar! :eusa_thin

Some updated pics:

IMG_3062.jpg

IMG_3065.jpg

IMG_3070.jpg

I've got it all finished now with several coats of Seal-A-Cell, so now I'll just cover it up with plastic for protection while I use this nice flat surface to glue up the top.

Last edited:

woodguy1975

New User
John

You're making good progress now dude. Hmmmmm maybe it is because of all the practice. :)

Monty

New User
Monty
Re: "Dog Day" Afternoon....

Well, it's time to get started on the top for my workbench. Before I can do the glueup, I had to cut out the square dog holes. I'm using Veritas square bench dogs.

I made a 3° angle wedge to go in my old crosscut sled, and set up the dado blade to match the dimensions of the bench dog. I cut a notch in the wedge, which holds a "key" to maintain proper spacing between the dog holes (6½" O.C). Once this was setup just like I wanted it, I just screwed the wedge to the sled from below, to keep it from moving.

I chose a 3° angle instead of the 2° specified in the Veritas instructions, so the faces of the dogs would lean just a bit further toward each other instead of being straight perpendicular to the bench surface.

Once I had all the dadoes cut, I had to cut out a notch in each one to clear the face of the dog. I made this router jig out of a piece of ¼" plywood and a scrap wood fence to cut these notches.

These dog holes turned out just like I wanted them to - the bench dogs drop down below the surface when not in use, are fairly easy to move but very snug so they stay put when in use. These bench dogs have a spring which keeps them from falling through, and I can position them as low as 1/16"-1/8" if I want to:

IMG_3091.jpg

So... here's where we stand thus far:

IMG_3094.jpg

IMG_3096.jpg

Next I will start with the glueup and flattening process. I will not cut the round dog holes until after it's all put together and the front vise is mounted.

:cool:

Last edited:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames

Looking good Monty. You are making some excellent progress now. Now I see how the use of the dado blade and router bit together as you described worked to form the dog holes. Good luck with your glue up.

D L

Steve D

Steve DeWeese

Looking great Monty. That is going to be a fantastic bench. :icon_thum

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio

going over to the local Re-Store (? HH's retail outfit) today looking for old countertops for just that sort of project. I know its not the same, but cheap is cheap! And a whole lot of improvement over the status quo! (does anyone else have young children that have caused an over exposure to that song from Disney Chanel's Highschool Musical?:3dblob5:)

woodguy1975

New User
John

Dude, I leave on the 12th and will be back in the shop 19-21. Just to let you know when the WM will be available. :D

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards

Let me know if you are interested in HM or not and I'll get you a quote from my sources. The larger volume the better the price.

Monty

New User
Monty

.... when the WM will be "available"?!?!? Hmmmm.... all I need is a good set of lock-picking tools!!! :jealous: :lol:

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards

My attack blacksnake has been trained to "invenomate" I have PLENTY of 8/4 ash available now if needed. Its "purty".

Monty

New User
Monty

Kyle said:
I have PLENTY of 8/4 ash available now if needed. Its "purty".

8-O Ash!!! Funny you should mention that! (long story... don't ask!) :-?

woodguy1975

New User
John

insomniac said:
.... when the WM will be "available"?!?!? Hmmmm.... all I need is a good set of lock-picking tools!!! :jealous: :lol:

Hmmmmmmmm, better beef up the security a bit. :lol::lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS