Workbench project: completed!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Re: Insomniac's "prototype" workbench...

Huh........did someone say something? Oh, Insom.......I don't think it is me you have to worry about, after all.........I've been trained to keep secrets.

Its guys like this you have to watch out for though.

I fell for you buddy....but I believe I would go with option #3 with the DaveO twist.

D L

Last edited:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member

I'm going to be the lone dissenter. This is a big project and you are just beginning. "Design features" are for later mistakes. You'll always be sorry if you compromise now. Redo the legs

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member

I'm with Steve. Pay me now pay me later. It will be something you look at for years and think "I wish I would have gone ahead and fixed it".

DavidF

New User
David

Option 3 for me. It isn't critical, it's not set in concrete. If the cabinet had already been built it would be different -be in control. Take the scrap approach when it's required, but this isn't one of them, just kick yourself and get on with it.

sapwood

New User
Roger

Insom,

You are not just building a workbench--you are building a legend :mrgreen:

Sapwood

Monty

New User
Monty
Re: How to build a workbench in 2 years or less

Figured I'd resurrect the old "workbench saga" thread, to let folks know what I've been up to lately. The reason for the delay was that I was trying to work out a wood deal with a friend of mine. As a few of you know that didn't exactly work out, but I finally got some more maple to work with last week:

IMG_2774.jpg

When I left off, I was in the process of making the trestles. I decided not to use the feet that I made previously, due to the spacing issues between the mortises. I did use the legs that I made before, though. I glued up the trestle tops and feet, and cut the mortise & tenon joinery for the legs and stretchers. I used my hollow chisel mortiser to make all my mortises, but had to clean up a pretty good deal by hand. The tenons were all cut with the table saw to make the shoulders, then with the band saw to cut the cheeks.

The thumbail profile on the feet were made using the 2-1/8" radius, which allowed for more space between the legs. This will give me a MUCH bigger and more usable space to add a tool cabinet under the bench at a later date. I used a 1" forstner bit on the two feet clamped together to make the ½" radius under each foot. The notch on the thumbnail was cut on the table saw, and the radius was cut on the bandsaw and cleaned up with the belt/disc sander.

So, here is what I have so far:

IMG_2793.jpg

I plan to finish up the joinery and glue it all up probably this weekend. I will use the draw-boring technique to reinforce the M&T joints on the trestle tops & feet, and I will wedge the through tenons on the legs.

Last edited:

woodguy1975

New User
John

Lookin good dude. I'm guessing all that trestle work for me paid off. :)

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio

great looking bench, so far. But you have become an old hand at bench making, after doing the ones for WG. Where will the penguine go?

Steve D

Steve DeWeese

Monty is bold enough to put them up front, where they belong! :p

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson

Nice Work Monty. Looks like the bench project is finally coming along, and you were able to get your hard maple. Keep us posted.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames

Monty, your trestle base is looking great.:icon_thum I am glad to see the wood finally came through for you. Is the wood in the pic above enough to complete both the base and the top? How many bf did you end up getting? Have you made any modification to the plans you sent me? I noted one already but I might be looking at an older version of your plans.

D L

Monty

New User
Monty

Actually, there is some more maple up on the lumber rack that I did not show in that picture. I bought about 130 bf total, but I expect to have some left over for other projects. What you see pictured is enough to make the top (minus the aprons) and trestle base. I have already cut all the top slab stock to rough length and width as well. Once I have the trestle base all glued up and square, I can use it to support my top lamination glueups.

skeeter

New User
Charles

Nic work! When everythings finished and the sawdust clears, you're going to have an awsume workbench..

M

McRabbet

I'm certain you will bequeath your entire collection of penguin guano to the useless S.O.B. that attempted to hoodwink you and your friend -- I sure hope both you and your friend got your investment back! The new maple and the job you've done in putting together the base looks really sweet. Nice work -- I know you look forward to the final result.

Rob

Monty

New User
Monty
Re: Trestle Mania!!! (part deux)

OK, time for the "Weekend Update".... I glued up the trestles this weekend, using draw-bored dowels to pin the M&T joints for the top and feet (just like I did for Woodguy's trestles). The dowels on this one are cherry.

IMG_2840.jpg

For the stretchers, I went with Lon Schleining's technique of wedged through-tenons. I like the look of it, although it would have been much easier just to pin them with dowels like I did before. I made a template out of scrap plywood, cut out on the scroll saw, to mark the tenons on all the stretchers. I used the band saw to cut two 5° notches on each tenon, with a ¼" hole in the end to prevent splitting. I made a bunch of 5° wedges out of cherry to fit the notches.

IMG_3049.jpg

The glueup of the stretchers had to be done in two stages. The left end was dry-fitted to keep everything square while the glue set on the right end, then the left end was glued up. I had a couple of pipe clamps holding the two ends tight until I drove the wedges in. This shows how the joinery looks after a quick cleanup with the block plane:

IMG_3060.jpg

This base is heavy, and the M&T joinery is substantial and dead-blow mallet tight. I'm pretty convinced that this base ain't gonna move!!! :cool:

Last edited:

woodguy1975

New User
John

Looking really good dude. Those wedged tenons really fill out the mortise nice leaving a perfect fitting look. Awsome. So when you gonna have your top ready. :) The Woodmaster awaits. :)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames

Monty, your trestle base is looking great.:icon_thum Did you glue the leg tenons before you inserted them into the mortises in the top and bottom rails or did you just glue the dowels? Have you started the glue up of your slab yet?

D L

Monty

New User
Monty

I glued the mortises, tenons, and the dowels. Same thing for the wedges. My thinking was to have as much glue surface as possible - I don't think the 3/8" dowels by themselves would be strong enough to stand up to the stresses of use and prevent joint failure down the road.

I need to finish cleaning up the other wedged tenons, and then I can use this nice flat surface to do the glueup for the top. I'll probably start on that this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS