W.Oak Rocker WIP pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtomasch

New User
David
Hi there...
Here are some pics of one of my current projects. It is an adirondak rocker made from 8/4 white oak assembled with walnut dowels(or will be soon) and through M&T. The back rest slats and seat slats will be walnut. It is a gift for a friend expecting identical twin girls. So I'm on a time schedule:) . As far a finish, I am open for suggestions. I have thought abou fuming it with amonia, and finishing with seal-a-cell and wax. But am definitely open for suggestions. Thanks for looking

Attachments

• Photo 11.jpg
    Photo 11.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 184
  • Photo 12.jpg
    Photo 12.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 181
T

toolferone

Looking great so far! I have not had the nerve to tackle a chair yet. Do lots of reading and be very careful if you go to fume it!

woodguy1975

New User
John
Hmmmmmmmmm what happened that that OC chair? :)

I hope those rockers aren't parallel or you'll have a rocker/walker. :)

dtomasch

New User
David
John,
I was woried about the "walker issue", so I plan on notching the back leg and arm into the back rail, bringing the back of the rockers closer together. I eas planning on 1/4" per side. Is that enough?

woodguy1975

New User
John
John,
I was woried about the "walker issue", so I plan on notching the back leg and arm into the back rail, bringing the back of the rockers closer together. I eas planning on 1/4" per side. Is that enough?

It should be enought. Just remember the planes of the rockers have to meet at a point somewhere in space in order for the traverse forces to cancel out and allow the rocker to remain in place as the person rocks.

dtomasch

New User
David
Yeah, Mike, That thought has crossed my mind and I may do a little "dulling" in the final shaping of the chair. Thanks for the input.

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
That rocker looks sweet:eusa_danc :icon_thum Now I will need to build a rocker some time soon for the LOML:BangHead: :BangHead:

dtomasch

New User
David
Update pics.....
Got my arm carved and one side glued up, as well as the back-seat rails glued. More later.

Attachments

• Photo 13.jpg
    Photo 13.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 173
  • Photo 14.jpg
    Photo 14.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 169
M

McRabbet

Cool chair -- Nice carved ends on the arms...

PS -- did you see my Gloat?

Rob

dtomasch

New User
David
Travis,
I'm not really working off a plan, I took apart a porch rocker I have and made templates, but have made quite a few alterations. Thanks for looking

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Those arms look like lion paws. Great idea. I am sure those twins will treasure those chairs. Great work, keep the pics coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS