Turning bottle stoppers ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Any advice on turning bottle stoppers. It looks pretty easy, and a great gift to give. I have a drill chuck that seems to run true. I am think that all I have to do is drill out a hunk of wood and glue in a dowel, that matches the dia. of a pre-drilled cork. Chuck that blank and turn it between centers, until it's time to part it of and finish the tip. Am I missing something??? Your advice is desired and appreciated, so toss it my way.
TIA, Dave:)

JRD

New User
Jim
Dave,

I'm no help to you on this one. I've never tried a bottle stopper, but I can't see any flaws in your method.

Jim

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
I have used a drill chuck for turning bottle stoppers in the past but found that the jaws would not always clamp evenly on wood, probably due to the inconsistent density of wood. I could get it better by turning the dowl in the jaws 90-degrees or so and re-clapming.
Keeping the tailstock in contact until the last possible moment is a good idea also.
Just a note: I recently got the Beall Collet Chuck system in the shop for another purpose but noticed it came with a 3/8"-diameter collet, the same as the dowels I use for bottlle stoppers. That led to a "duh-huh" moment and a new, more stable way to turn them. Plus, the collet doesn't leave the grooves in the dowel that my drill chuck did when tightened down enough to hold it firmly.

clowman

Clay Lowman
I know that some people use a pin chuck to chuck their stoppers with. I've only turned 1 though, in a class setting.

frankson

New User
Jeff
Dave,

At the KMI shop, Mike has had us use a bottle stopper lathe chuck....see site below

Bottle Stopper Lathe Chuck with Drill Bit: Penn State Industries

I know you plan to use the wood/cork stopper but, I'll add my 2 cents re: aesthetics/practicality:

I made a bottle stopper using the attractive tapered chrome with black rubber rings kit and found that it looked awesome in the drawer or your hand but, when you put it into the bottle it sat up to high and looked....terrible. They are costly also...

the dowel/cork is nice but, you may also have the aesthetics issue mentioned above.

the dowel and yellow rubber stopper is least attractive in drawer/hand but, the stopper will sit down in the throat of most bottles and the eye will focus on the beautiful wood, not the mechanism holding it in the bottle.

happy turning

Frankson

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks Buddy and Jeff, that is some good information. I like hearing that the more expensive stoppers aren't so nice :eusa_danc I have forgotten about that site, it's a wealth of information :icon_thum
Dave:)

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Thanks Buddy and Jeff, that is some good information. I like hearing that the more expensive stoppers aren't so nice :eusa_danc I have forgotten about that site, it's a wealth of information :icon_thum
Dave:)

That information was timely as the LOML had wanted me to order the high dollar kit from PSI for some more gifts this year. I almost placed the order yesterday but got wrapped in all the precooking for today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS