Turning a straight spindle???

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
How do y'all go about it? I was turning some ¾" dowels today, about 9-12" long. Started with square stock, rounded with a roughing gouge. Parted down to the desired diameter at both ends. Then finished turned to size with a 1" skew. They looked straight, but after sanding I realized that I had up to a .02" variance in diameter. Luckily these will not be fitting in any holes, they are just going to be cut up into short 1.5-2" spacers, so the exact diameter isn't important.
But there has got to be a way to ensure a consistent diameter across a spindle that I don't know :icon_scra
I did notice that in the middle of the spindle is where I got thinner, and my tool rest seems to have a more worn spot there :dontknow:

Dave:)

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I size them with an open end wrench, finish turn with a 2 1/2 inch chisel and sand with a long wood block. Check all along with the wrench so you know when you are close then be very careful not to go too far.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I don't see anyone else weighing in on this so here's MTCW: I just started turning (this month) but I find it helpful to have a contrasting color behind the piece with a straight line I can sight by - but I'd be happy if I could eyeball a 9-12" piece within .02. That's about the gap on a set of distributor points ('member them?). The other option I'd suggest is caliper cuts at regular intervals & finish to the cuts.
I don't mean to be presumptive with these ideas, but I'd be glad to hear from some of the darkside too about other ways.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I size them with an open end wrench, finish turn with a 2 1/2 inch chisel and sand with a long wood block. Check all along with the wrench so you know when you are close then be very careful not to go too far.

thats what I do. you can use the wrench to get the finished size. get your spindle close[within a 1/64" or so] then with the lathe running lay the wrench on the rest and push it into the spindle and run it right down the rest. this works great for making pegs.:gar-Bi sanding is usually not needed! the wrench will burnish the spindle.:icon_thum

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I don't see anyone else weighing in on this so here's MTCW: I just started turning (this month) but I find it helpful to have a contrasting color behind the piece with a straight line I can sight by - but I'd be happy if I could eyeball a 9-12" piece within .02. That's about the gap on a set of distributor points ('member them?). The other option I'd suggest is caliper cuts at regular intervals & finish to the cuts.
I don't mean to be presumptive with these ideas, but I'd be glad to hear from some of the darkside too about other ways.

I agree with Dennis on the tolerance of .02-----------that is probably closer than dowels you buy already turned.

Mike also has a good solution I have used quite often-------and it works.

If you do get the perfect dowel in dimension---------measure it again tomorrow and it probably will not be the same.:rotflm:

Jerry

gator

George
Corporate Member
I know that 12" isn't very long and 3/4" is pretty thick, but, could you be getting some 'whip' in the center where the rod is thinner? Perhaps there is a need for a center rest?

George

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
If you can get the square block to a very tight tolerance, then you can mark the centerline of the faces with a red marker. Cut until the line just starts to disappear (color is blurred, of course, but it changes).

Threejs

New User
David
Relax man. If you want machine quality dowels, buy them, don't turn them. The other option is to do it the neanderthal way. Drill holes in a metal plate, and hammer/pull the wood through smaller and smaller holes till you got a dowel the size you want.

Rod

New User
Rod
I also use the marker/pencil technique. I just use a caliper adjusted to the correct diameter...mark what needs to come off...and then sand with a long block. Good luck!
Rod

Rod

New User
Rod
I know that 12" isn't very long and 3/4" is pretty thick, but, could you be getting some 'whip' in the center where the rod is thinner? Perhaps there is a need for a center rest?

George

Sorry...read this after posting the last.

I agree with George. Even with a slight flex/"whip" in the center of the piece, it quickly doubles what you take out when turning at 2000+ rpm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS