The Process to carve a Handyman caricature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed DelCogliano

New User
Ed
I figured I'd show the process I used to carve this Handyman caricature. The wood is Basswood and it is made up of 3 pieces, the main body, the saw and the piece of wood he is cutting. The bench is part of the main body. I started by taking pictures of myself to show the positions I needed to trace onto the block of wood. I carve this about 5 years ago because I started a handyman business and I wanted to have a picture of a handyman on my business card. The name of my business was " This Old (House) Guy " with the word house crossed out. Hope this helps any new carvers.
HandymanA.JPG

HandymanB.JPG

HandymanC.JPG

HandymanD.JPG

HandymanE.JPG

I traced onto the block of wood cutouts of the pictures I had taken to give me a rough idea where I was going to start to carve. I used a bandsaw to cut out the figure, then started to carve using the pictures to show more detail, I would always keep tracing with a pencil to show where I had to carve. I used various gouges and knifes to carve.
HandymanF.JPG

HandymanG.JPG

HandymanH.JPG

HandymanI.JPG

HandymanJ.JPG

HandymanK.JPG

HandymanL.JPG

HandymanM.JPG

HandymanN.JPG

HandymanO.JPG

HandymanP.JPG

HandymanQ.JPG

HandymanR.JPG

HandymanS.JPG

HandymanT.JPG

This is the finished piech after many hours of carving.
HandymanZ2.JPG

HandymanZ3.JPG

HandymanZ4.JPG

HandymanZ5.JPG

HandymanZ6.JPG

Hope this helps some new carvers out there.....Regards Ed

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Thanks for sharing your steps!! I'm sure that'll give a lot of us the nerve to try it. Nice work!

And I'm glad to see you were able to get the pictures figured out!

Have a great one...

DaveO

New User
DaveO
From the first picture I thought you were going to punch it out of the wood with brute force :gar-La;:gar-La;
I really like how you used yourself as a model to get the basic design. Going from 2-D to 3-D takes an amazing talent. You have to see the form in the wood before you start. And as I have heard said, just remove the wood that doesn't look like what you are trying to carve.
Yep, I bet it's that easy :roll::roll:.
Thanks for posting this, it is very enlightening.
Dave:)

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
That is an amazing piece of work. I love it. It almost looks like me. :) One day I may give that a try as well. Although even with the steps I have no clue how you did that.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I was thinking along the same lines that you were going to punch your way thru the wood to make something ... but ah, then I saw the light. Pretty dang neat!

PS - I have been laying out a new website called "How Wood You" (www.howwoodyou.com) that would be a central hub for instructions on how to do things with wood. This might be a great candidate ... that is if you are interested. The site is not "on the web" yet, but I've got the starts of it on my computer while I look for content. PM me if you are interested in maybe putting something up on it.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
That is really cool! I really thought that you were going to Punch out the wood into a carved design:dontknow::dontknow:.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Ed,

I think I got it except for the one step here:

HandymanT.JPG

Then the sea parts and angels sing... :icon_sunn:icon_sunn:icon_sunn

HandymanZ2.JPG

:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

Seriously, that is what always kills me - details!

Very nice job. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
I think this is amazing work. I can't even imagine how this was done. I don't know if I'm more impressed with the man or his clothes. I think I'm gonna try it - I'm gonna start out with a pencil and see if I can carve a pencil out of it. :dontknow: :dontknow:

Thanks for sharing your wonderful work with us.

Ernie :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
This is truly a great posting! I have always admired those caricature carvings. You are very talented. Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

Ed DelCogliano

New User
Ed
Thanks for all your comments. I hope it has inspired others to carve, you can do it. I've read many of your postings about what chisels and gouges and knifes to get. Just start out small, buy the best you can afford, keep them sharpe, really sharp and keep you hands and fingers protected, that is a must. Just do it! Regards, Ed

skeeter

New User
Charles
Great work. I really enjoyed seeing how it was created, though I don't think I would ever build up the nerve to try.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
That is absolutely incredible!!!:notworthy:

Since I run a Handyman business I think it's extra cool. I could see a business card holder on the front of that... Now that would be over the top!!! I have been wanting to make some business card holders for myself, but now I feel rather inadequate. Mine were just going to be basic. You have inspired me, unfortunately I don't have the level of talent required to produce something like that.:no:

Matt

Ed DelCogliano

New User
Ed
Thanks Matt,
You are welcome to use the image on your business card. Let me know and I will send you the orginal one I used on my card. e-mail me at eddelcogliano@att.net and I'll even send you my business card to see what it looked like. Regards Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS