Red Oak Turning Blanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

Is red oak any good for turning or is it too open grained?

Thanks

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
Red oak is as good as anything. (I turned an entire 50-some foot tall red oak tree that was damaged by an ice storm.....the WHOLE thing!)
The grain is not bad with light clean up cuts and sanding. I have buffed out several red oak pieces and was able to get a glass smooth finish without much problem.
One thing I learned to do is to sand the piece down on the lathe, wet the surface with a rag and let it dry to "raise" the grain and then sand it again. That cures many problems when finish is applied.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
I turned an entire 50-some foot tall red oak tree that was damaged by an ice storm.....the WHOLE thing!

Okay, Tom, your lathe is something I have to see. I think I understand the 50 feet between centers but the swing on it must be something to behold......:rolf: :rolf: :rolf: :rolf: :rolf: :rolf:

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
Okay, Tom, your lathe is something I have to see. I think I understand the 50 feet between centers but the swing on it must be something to behold......:rolf: :rolf: :rolf: :rolf: :rolf: :rolf:

OK! I cut it up first! I did hang a few pieces on it though that I had to trim with a hand plane to get rid of high spots that were hitting the bed.....

J

jeff...

Tom, thanks for the reply - was wondering if you have any pics of what you turned in red oak. I've worked with a lot of different species of wood in my life but in my book nothing is better than red oak. I'm sure it's a personal prefrence and I don't think it's shared by many people.

Thanks

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
I know I shold be taking pictures of everything but, especially at that time, I was cranking stuff out and handing it to whomever showed up so the house wouldn't get over run with bowls, peppermills, goblets and "whatevers"!
I'll try to dig around to see if there are any photos. there are a few in my turning Showcase at the link below, scroll down to the bottom for the showcase links.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/turning/index.html

J

jeff...

Tom, I checked out your site, wow is all I can say. I would be interested in those DVD's would you consider something in trade?

Thanks

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
Tom, I checked out your site, wow is all I can say. I would be interested in those DVD's would you consider something in trade?

Thanks

Sure - money!
My accountant is on the warpath again about me not charging enough....
I'd fire her but she's way smarter than I am.

J

jeff...

geeze and I thought I was the only one... You just gotta love your CFO

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Is red oak any good for turning or is it too open grained?

Thanks

If you venture into pen turning try an experiment.
Turn a pen straight grained out of your red oak and then cut a piece on the bias and turn another.
Whatch the chatouance jump out at you.
The appearance will be quite different.
I often make my own CB's out of the same spieces of wood the pen is made of but I cross cut the CB and turn it.
Different shade of the same wood when finished.

J

jeff...

If you venture into pen turning try an experiment.
Turn a pen straight grained out of your red oak and then cut a piece on the bias and turn another.
Whatch the chatouance jump out at you.
The appearance will be quite different.
I often make my own CB's out of the same spieces of wood the pen is made of but I cross cut the CB and turn it.
Different shade of the same wood when finished.

Thanks for the information. If I hear you correctly blanks cut at different angles to the gain will produce different results, understandable. But You kinda lost me with the acronym "CB" though - what's a CB?

J

jeff...

Oh I got it now - I can be taught... I thought it might have been some kind of base or stand to put the pen in when your not using it.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS