Potential Raleigh Oak Lumber Run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

brenthenze

New User
Brent Henze
I'd love to score some of this lumber, but I don't know how much I can realistically load into my old, small pickup truck (which has a bed of about 6'x4') and how much the springs will hold.

Could you put me down for 50bf of the QSRO (and if I can fit more in, I'll pick from what's left)?

Depending upon when the pick-up is scheduled, I may be able to borrow a trailer...or even make two runs.

Say, how much for home delivery to Farmville? :wsmile:

Brent

BobcatBob

New User
Bob
Been on vacation so I'm late to see this message so not sure what is left. I would like to have 100 BF of QS red oak and 75 to 100 BF of QS white oak, both 4 qtr.

Bob

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Reconfirming my order: 50 BF 8/4 FSWO (1 diving board) and 50 BF 4/4 QSRO.

I'd also like to get 50 BF 4/4 QSWO when we get it out of Jim's place. Later is fine if that works for phase 2 of this project. :saw:

I'm finally back in town and can meet you at Jim's this Saturday afternoon if you're gonna be there. Email or call my cell with the plan.

Truefire

New User
Chris
Hello Jeff, I am so sorry my man that I haven't got back up with you here recently. I had submitted that I wanted some lumber and had all intentions on preparing that. However I got busy with my job and with my making of duck calls and had forgotten all about the lumber run.

By the way, irresponsibility on my part, I should have gotten up with you by now. Foremost I am not going to be able to make it this time. However I would like to know exactly how this works exactly.
How is the lumber typically priced?
What are typical lengths of the boards and the thickness of such?
Does everyone bring wood and kind of sale and swap that sort of thing?
Or are you the only one selling wood this time?

Thanks so much for your help and time concerning this reply (much needed on your part).Sorry, Chris

J

jeff...

Hi there Chris - please see my responses below in (Blue)

Hello Jeff, (Hey Chris)I am so sorry my man that I haven't got back up with you here recently (No Worries). I had submitted that I wanted some lumber and had all intentions on preparing that. However I got busy with my job and with my making of duck calls and had forgotten all about the lumber run. (Hey Man Life gets in the way sometime - There are a lot more important things like family and besides if life were perfect we would all be bored out of our gourd)

By the way, irresponsibility on my part (Not really - your cool), I should have gotten up with you by now(Better late than never - right?). Foremost I am not going to be able to make it this time (Don't worry BE HAPPY). However I would like to know exactly how this works exactly. (Well I don;t exactly know but I do know I cut the lumber and take it to Scott's he kiln dries it (does a darn good job at it too) then I loaded it all back up and take it to harbor freight people show up and trade greenback for lumber - yep that's about how it works.)
How is the lumber typically priced? (Well that's an interesting question - I usually whack a board with a big stick to determine price - yep whack-o-stack)
What are typical lengths of the boards and the thickness of such? (Well my typical length is 8' but have been known to cut longer logs from time to time / Thickness is usally 4/4 rough sawn but have been known to cut thicker stuff on occasion)
Does everyone bring wood and kind of sale and swap that sort of thing? (Everyone is welcome to come and sell wood or whatever as long as it's not an illegal substance I'm cool with it - it's a good time when a bunch of guys and gals get together for shop show and tell)
Or are you the only one selling wood this time? (Don't know? might be, but depends on who shows up. Here lately - I've been trying to get other sawyers to show up)

Thanks so much for your help and time concerning this reply (much needed on your part).Sorry, Chris (No Worries :) )

Thanks

J

jeff...

Jeff,

Would you be willing to sell some green qswo? 4/4 and maybe some 8/4?

Thanks boss!

I'm sure we can - it's just a matter of time before we hit the white oaks.

BTW - all the RO is sawn and ready to move to Scott's. Should have taken a video of moving those big ole logs out of the ravine - then you guys could see Yoda in action.

I'm just waiting on a pair of trailer tires to come in. :roll: Don't ask I'm pretty upset about getting jerked around ordering from one shop - only to have to cancel my order after two weeks of them not coming in.

Thanks

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Just let me know! I'm not sure when I'll start working on our bedroom set and that's what I want to build it out of. I need to find some designs the wife and I like and figure out how much I'll need.

If you can give me a ball park price so I can prepare the CFO that'd be great.

Thanks again!

J

jeff...

All the lumber for this run is now at Scott's ready to go into the his kiln sometime the middle of this week :gar-Bi -

My unofficial count is 3880 Board Feet
Scott's official count is 4008 Board Feet

As you can tell my Granville County math is catching up to Chatham County math - soon I'll be a math wiz :icon_scra

I carried all this lumber to Scott's in 3 loads - on my shoulder no doubt and walked approx 65 miles from Jim's to Scott's. First trip was approx 1500 BF, second was like 1400 BF the thirds was around 1300 BF - I started to get tired the more trips I made so it took a little over 3 weeks. Pepsi, mountain dew and Skippers in Apex helped me make it :gar-Bi

Anyways there is a lot of lumber with an of average 42% moisture content there at Scott's.

Sorry guys no pics this time - it's kinda hard to take a picture of yourself while carrying 1500 board foot of green lumber on you shoulder - you know?

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Jeff,

I'm glad that you got all of that wood to Scott's for the kiln, now it's time for you to stop lollygagging and get back to sawing more of them logs up.:wink_smil

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
For those who have committed to purchase, MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND START SAVING YOUR PENNIES!!!

Most likely the 4/4 Oak will be ready delivery either the weekend of October 18th, or the following weekend 10/25. I'll know more a couple of weeks into the drying process and will update this thread as things progress.

The 8/4 oak cannot be mixed into a 4/4 load, so Jeff and I need to put our heads together and discuss options.

As usual, Jeff's milling work looks GREAT! This looks like it will be some really great, high quality lumber at a wholesale price.

Scott

J

jeff...

For those who have committed to purchase, MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND START SAVING YOUR PENNIES!!!

Most likely the 4/4 Oak will be ready delivery either the weekend of October 18th, or the following weekend 10/25. I'll know more a couple of weeks into the drying process and will update this thread as things progress.

The 8/4 oak cannot be mixed into a 4/4 load, so Jeff and I need to put our heads together and discuss options.

As usual, Jeff's milling work looks GREAT! This looks like it will be some really great, high quality lumber at a wholesale price.

Scott

Just saw this - thanks Scott - I'll try and get a hold of you about the 8/4 diving boards and see what our options are... On top of the 24" wide 8/4 diving board stack is a lone 4/4 x 24" WO board. Could I ask you a big favor and please buck both ends and make it an 8' 6" board and dry it along with the 4/4/ RO. That board is for my buddy Robert (SawDuster).

Thanks

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Jeff, I think that we already included that board in the stack when we loaded the kiln earlier this week (and it's somewhere in the midst...), but will double check tomorrow.

Unfortunately, it went in w/o the ends being bucked...

J

jeff...

Jeff, I think that we already included that board in the stack when we loaded the kiln earlier this week (and it's somewhere in the midst...), but will double check tomorrow.

Unfortunately, it went in w/o the ends being bucked...

Scott thanks:thumbs_up I think that board is 4/4 x 24" x 12' long. So it should have stuck out like a sore thumb amongst the 8'ers . I'm sure Mr. Duster will get something out of it. He likes them wide boards, so I figured I would try and hook him up - I hope it works out that way.

I really appreciate you taking on the lumber to dry - I know you guys are very busy out there. Seemed like a swarm of bees every time I brought a load out.

Thanks Again

J

jeff...

I've had several people PM me about lumber pickup. Seems many want to pick up at Scott's when the kiln doors open (mmm... fresh kiln dried warm lumber :) ). I usually load up from Scott's and run up to harbor freight for what's been coined a lumber run . Now I'm starting to wonder if it might be better to have a lumber run at Scott's instead? There is a whole bunch of lumber, Jim (Member Insteadof) gets his 500 BF which is already marked with red spray paint on the end of his boards. Jims goes on my trailer so I can take back to him.

I talked with Scott he says it's ok to have a lumber run out at his place as long as it's on a Saturday. I'm game either way and will be coming back up through Raleigh on my way home anyways.

For those of you who have confirmed your 4/4 RO - Please reply with your preference:

#1 Scott's place in New Hill
#2 Harbor Freight off of Capital BLVD in Raleigh.

Thanks

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Either way will work for me. Scott's farm is much nicer than the HF parking lot :icon_thum
It could be less work for you Jeff... you wouldn't have to load your trailer with as much :icon_thum

Dave:)

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Either way will work for me. Scott's farm is much nicer than the HF parking lot :icon_thum
It could be less work for you Jeff... you wouldn't have to load your trailer with as much :icon_thum

Dave:)

And I know how to get there,:roll: was there yesterday, and went by there today. Oh btw I confirm my order:thumbs_up

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Either way is fine. Distance wise it makes no difference to me. Less wood hauling for you at Scott's place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors