Potential Raleigh Oak Lumber Run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Buchholz

New User
Bob Buchholz
I had originally put in for 100 bf of QSWO but you had me down for 200 bf. If you have the 200 bf then confirm me for that and I'll beg the wife for more $$.

Thanks
bob

max_in_graham

New User
Max
Sorry for bein' late to the party... busy with getting ready for rough-in inspections...

Confirm for 750-1000 bf of flatsawn 4/4 or 5/4 (whatever's avail)... maybe more if it's available? I'll take some narrow widths too... 2" and up.

Thanx!
Max

J

jeff...

Dug my sawmill out of the mud today and brought it back home for some maintenance and a good cleaning. As you can tell it's seen a little bit of work :) I'll change the oil, grease up the bearings, check the fluid, square up the bed / headrig and dogs. My American flag must have flew off the top of the mast head when going down the highway - It's an absolute must to have a American flag up there when sawing lumber - so I'll have to get me a new one. Saw just won't start without the flag - cause I refuse to turn the key...

I'll be moving the bobcat out to Jim's one evening this week and hope to get started on skidding logs out of the woods this Friday the 4th of July. Once we get the logs out I'll take the mill out there and start cutting.

I see some more folks confirmed - I'll update the first post in this thread.

Here are a few picks of Dirty McNasty
P101000518.JPG

P101000425.JPG

P101000327.JPG

P101000235.JPG

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Looks like you are getting the equipment ready for some serious sawing. Wish I had some free time, I would LOVE to help and learn the ropes on yet another aspect of this hobby we call woodworking. Maybe I can find some time:dontknow:

J

jeff...

I spoke with Jim yesterday. I was going to start this weekend but his son is in for a visit and I did not want to interrupt father son time, family is the most important thing there is... I'll be starting next week, which is good because I want to be able to help Scott with his shop fire clean up this weekend. It's amazing how things work out sometimes isn't it? Anyways I'll be sure and snap some pics while we are out in the woods. That way you guys can get an idea of the powerful force of wind and what it can do to mature woodland trees. I think you'll be amazed - I know I was when I saw it for myself.

Thanks

J

jeff...

Hey guys wanted to let you know Jim and I started working out in his woods yesterday evening. We managed to snake out one WO tree to the area where I'll be setting up the sawmill. The first tree yielded 6 nice 8' WO saw logs before we hit the crotch. Also Yesterday evening we managed to start sawing on the second tree. It's the biggest one that fell and it's a RO but as luck would have it it's further out in the woods and down in a little bit of a ravine.

This evening we managed to finish sectioning the second tree off into 8' logs I think there are 5 logs in the second tree. I was having a heck of a time trying to get those logs out of the ravine with the bobcat. It's a little muddy down there, the logs are large diameter (heavy) plus there are trees everywhere. I think we may need to get a little creative with Jims tractor and the bobcat so we can skid the logs out of the ravine. After about 45 mins of work a thunder storm rolled through and we had to get out of the woods in a hurry because of the lightning.

I think Jim said there are 11 or 12 oaks all together. Once we get all we can out of the woods I'll bring my sawmill out there and start sawing. these past two evenings has been a little rough - Jim and I both a dripping wet head to toe from sweat. You know your dripping in sweat when your wallet is soaked :eek:

I forgot to bring my camera with me but I promise to snap some pics for you guys.

Thanks

TracyP

Tracy
Looks like you are making some definite progress. Can't wait to see this wood. Keep us posted.

J

jeff...

Finally remembered my camera here's a few pics... That's Jim (Insteadof) ancorsealing log ends and a couple of pics of the two Wind throw oaks in the ravine - check out those root balls they are huge.

We got another tree out of the woods tonight. That's 2 down only 9 or 10 left. I can't get the two out of the ravine - so Jim called up one of his friends with a big tractor to skid them out of the ravine. I think we'll be working on those two Saturday afternoon.

P101000236.JPG

P101000519.JPG

P101000426.JPG

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Those are some fine looking logs, nice and straight and uniformly round. You should get some nice stock out of them. I am excited about my lot :eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Dave:)

sawduster

New User
Robert
Which one has my board ? huh, which one ? tell me pretty please , which one ? huh? huh ? which one ? :rotflm:

Those are great pictures bro :icon_thum. I don't think most folks ( including myself ) realize just how hard you work to make all that purdy wood . Keep the pics coming , it is very interesting to me to see the work " in the trenches "
....gives me a new appreciation for what you do :eusa_clap

J

jeff...

Which one has my board ? huh, which one ? tell me pretty please , which one ? huh? huh ? which one ? :rotflm:

Those are great pictures bro :icon_thum. I don't think most folks ( including myself ) realize just how hard you work to make all that purdy wood . Keep the pics coming , it is very interesting to me to see the work " in the trenches "
....gives me a new appreciation for what you do :eusa_clap

I'll make sure I snap a picture of your board there Duster - it's WO 4/4 thick by 24" wide by 12' long although - I might have to hack it back to 10' before it hit's the kiln.

J

jeff...

Jim and I worked on the two ravine Red Oak yesterday. I did managed to get 9 of the logs out of the ravine with the bobcat and up to the on the edge of the wood where I'll be making square one from big round ones. There are three logs left in the ravine that I couldn't get out, two butts and one log right above the butt on the larger from the two trees. I could lift them but the bobcat would take nose drive under from the weight. Jim sealed up the ends and I expect he will call his friend in sometime next week to move them up to the pad. So far we have ran some pretty nice Oak saw logs out of the woods - I have high expectations of some very nice Oak lumber coming out of the logs. Next week we'll be working on gathering up several oak trees in what Jim coins the back forty. Then it's across his driveway for a few oaks that fell over by the tar river. I think there is about 7 or 8 left to get.

Also out in the back forty there are also few nice hickory and poplar trees that fell. Jim said if I wanted them I could have them and I kinda hate to see them nice logs be made into firewood. I don't have any use for them and just got my shop some what cleaned out. If any of you guys are interested in hickory or poplar lumber let me know. After I bring my saw mill out there - I'm sure we could saw out a few 100 BF and I could let it go for .50 a BF green off the log - if you can come pick up the lumber in Berea.

Berea_NC.JPG

Please correlate only the Hickory and Poplar lumber for sale with Ad http://www.ncwoodworker.net/ppclass/showproduct.php?product=468

Thanks

Thanks

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Jeff I an use 100bf of FS...when will you have a price together?Please let me know...

thanks
Dirk

J

jeff...

We got a couple more oaks out last night from the back forty. Including one big old nasty widow maker. Jim's engineering background really paid off on that big old leaner oak. We slid a log underneath the butt as far as I could get it. Back cut the big old butt on both sides from the underside, then came up both sides through the heart. Then I SLOWLY made the top cut. As I was cutting the top, the kerf opened up and then like we planed it that way, in one swift motion the root ball stood back up in it's hole and the tree fell right on to the log that I placed underneath it. :) I yelled out "DID YOU SEE THAT !!!" it was awesome, I wished I would have made a movie of it. Jim had my back the whole time during the top cut to jerk me out of there in case something went wrong :) We then hooked a long chain up to the butt and I jerked it with the bobcat. WHAM the tree top skidded down the lodged trees that were holding the tree top about 30' in the air and the whole tree laid down on the ground nice and easy like :) :) :). You have to admit it's a total guy thing taking the sting out of a widow maker :) The rest is history and the widow maker will become a piece of furniture one of you guys hand craft :gar-Bi

My wife asked me when I got home "so did you get a lot done out there" I replied yeah and we even got a big ole widow maker down. She said "widow maker? what kind of tree is that" I said Oak :gar-La;

Thanks

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
I hear they are auditioning for the second season of "AXMEN". There might be a future for you.....!!!

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Ya gotta love it when a plan comes together!! Good on ya.

That one deserves a couple brewski's by the pool!!:eek:ccasion1:eek:ccasion1
Go

TracyP

Tracy
Ya gotta love it when a plan comes together!! Good on ya.

That one deserves a couple brewski's by the pool!!:eek:ccasion1:eek:ccasion1
Go

I am buying the first round :rotflm:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS