Old jointer knife as parting tool? - completed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Any reason not to use an old jointer knife for a parting tool? I just changed the knives on my 8" jointer (high speed steel). The previous owner ground the knives poorly and most are pretty think. But one of them is still a good 5/8" wide (1/8" thick).

Would this be safe to make into a parting tool or would it be too brittle?

Thanks!
Salem

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Re: Old jointer knife as parting tool?

Assuming HSS, it is not a problem. Just grind the cutting edge well, and put a handle on it.

Last edited:

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew

Sweet, That will come in handy.

As I have two sets of blades that came with my used Ridgid that are the wrong size. Didn't notice then.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

Most parting tools are tapered away from the cutting edge. You may have issues with a flat blade.

dlrion

New User
Dan

Another thing I heard was really good for parting were those knives that go on the ends of edgers (you know lawn edgers).

Just put a handle on them and they work great. I have seen a couple such "Knives" and they seem to suit their makers.

Dan

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User

I've made several turning tools out of HSS planer and jointer knives. Generally, I'll choose USA-made as it tends to be significantly harder and hold an edge better. Making a parting tool for small work is a great use. So is making a little skew chisel out of a jointer knife.

Here's a skew I made out of a large jointer knife.

Another thing you can make is scraper tips by putting an abrasive cut-off wheel(Norton A60OBNA2) on your bench grinder and cutting them out.

A 6" jointer knife isn't going to make anything big, that's for sure, but it can make a very good small tool. give it a try.

eyekode

New User
Salem

Thanks for the link! Very cool thread :). At first I didn't understand making a skew out of a planer knife until I read down a ways and saw they were 1/4" thick!

In your thread you mentioned using an abrasive wheel and a belt sander to remove the cutting edge? I didn't quite get it. How does notching the edge help to grind it off?

Thanks for the inspiration!
Salem

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User

The series of little notches in the cutting edge of the jointer makes it easier on the grinding belt. You're basically hogging off little sections. A bench grinding wheel will work but it takes longer.

This album has some sequence photos using the abrasive cut-off wheel and belt grinder to make shear scraper tips for a shop-made tool.

IMG_7277JPG.jpg

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy

Most parting tools are tapered away from the cutting edge. You may have issues with a flat blade.

Mike,

If I understand what you mean, isn't that the difference between a parting tool and tenon tool? I have a HSS tenon tool I use as a parting tool also. It can be a little tricky as it can bind in thick stock if you don't keep it pretty much exactly perpendicular. Anyway, it has zero taper.

eyekode

New User
Salem

Thanks for all the responses and encouragement. I finished my parting tool today :).

I ground the edge off of one of the knives (actually just ground a flat on the top and a matching bevel on the opposite side, I wanted to keep as much width as possible).

I then ground the end to be .500". This end would be inserted into the tool handle.

I turned a shortish handle out of maple for it. Then used copper pipe for the ferule. By the way there is no dimension on 3/4" copper pipe that is .75". The inner diameter was ~.8 or so. I thought that was odd.

I drilled a 1/2" hole in the end of the handle while it was still on the lathe. I then turned a dowel .5" and removed the center ~1/8.

Finally I glued it all together with epoxy:

I haven't gotten to try it out yet but it feels great in the hand :).

Salem

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
So now you've got a tool on a stick. Shape it to a cut-off tool. Shape to a skew. Shape to a special profile scraper. The variations are limited by your imagination.

I love re-using the old HSS blades for turning tools. The old USA-made stuff is quite hard and durable High Speed Steel, unlike much of the import knives. You'll be amazed how long it will stay sharp.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Bob,
I shaped this to a parting tool (after I took these pictures). But I have 2 knives left :). I am afraid to make a skew out of one though. The metal is only 1/8" thick. I was worried this would be too flimsy. But I am not sure what I will do with the other two... so maybe I will give it a shot :).
Salem

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
One of my favorite purpose-built skews is one from an 8" x 3/32" Delta jointer knife that's about 1/2" wide or less. Its great for getting deep into a crevice on light delicate turnings in softer woods. Think Cindy Drozda delicate.

Here is one at work making Christmas tree ornaments

IMG_2483.jpg

Its the only skew I have narrow enough to cut deep the platforms. This photo shows doing the outside with a gouge, but you can see where that skew has to go.

IMG_2497.jpg

Work in process - drying

ornamentsx.jpg

Crappy photos of the finished products

bowls12007.jpg

Old photo of other ornaments of the past

ornaments.jpg

For large turnings out of hard wood, such as these mallets, the little skew is useless to dangerous.

mallets.jpg

eyekode

New User
Salem
Bob, thanks for the response(s). The link you posted to the tools you made out of jointer knives convinced me to give it a shot.

Nice ornaments too! Are the spaces done by a forstner bit removing most of the inside waste before any turning starts?

Salem

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I used to have a 'how-to' article on that on wood central, but I couldn't find it.
Square the stock on two sides, plane the other two.
mark centers
drill with Forstner or Multi Spur
drum sand the insides of the holes
Then turn.
Hole size: 3:5 ratio somewhat. EG a 5" square block will have a 3" hole.
Clear white pine or basswood are good.
Never scrape. Always cut.

Like This

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS