Finally - My Latest Maloof Style Rocker Photo Shoot Complete (Lots of Pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Many of you know the trials and tribulations associated with this rocker. I had a contaminate in the lacquer I first used to finish this rocker that caused it to crack. I completely stripped the rocker down to the bare wood, resanded it to 320 grit and started over again from the oil. The final finish is Arm-R-Seal (wiping varnish) with a final coat of Briwax. The wood is figured cherry with a strip of tiger maple in the rocker laminations. Overall the rocker came out great and is very comfortable. I went with flat front spindles on this chair, two hard lines, and splayed the back legs 3 degrees. It is already sold and will be picked up in a couple weeks.

The photos are pretty good, but it is cold in my studio/garage so I was in a bit of a hurry. :) I could have positioned the lights better in a few pics, but overall they pretty good. The background is a professional artic white background papar with two AB stobes with a soft box and reflective umbrella.

So without further intro here are the pics. Please go here for the full gallery.

normal_Rocker1-Position1.jpg
normal_Rocker1-Position2.jpg

normal_Rocker1-Position3.jpg
normal_Rocker1-Position4.jpg

normal_Rocker1-Position5.jpg
normal_Rocker1-Position6.jpg

normal_Rocker1-Position7.jpg
normal_Rocker1-Position8.jpg

normal_Rocker1-Back-Detail.jpg
normal_Rocker1-BackLeg-Brass-Detail.jpg

normal_Rocker1-Backleg-Top-Detail.jpg
normal_Rocker1-Seat-Arms-Detail.jpg

normal_Rocker1-Signature-Detail.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JimThomasson

New User
Jim
WOW! Gasping for breath....... incredibly beautiful!!!

Where on earth did you get your hands on that cherry???

:eusa_clap

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Beautiful rocker. Looks like you got the finish just right this time. Makes you want to touch it or maybe stroke it.:lol: :lol: What I like is it's not too shiney and it doesn't look like it has a ton of finish on it. How many coats of wipe on did you put on it? Very nice job John.

Mike

Monty

New User
Monty
Absolutely beautiful! I hope whoever got their hands on THE John Richards No. 1 Rocker fully appreciates what they have! ;) :D

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Superb job John------------on the chair AND the photography. That is a pin-up if ever there was one.:icon_thum

Jerry

DaveO

New User
DaveO
OUTSTANDING!!!!! Absolutely beautiful, and nice pics too. The Maple in the rockers is a nice touch that shows that it is a custom piece. I really like how you shaped the arms, it looks like the chair is about to give you a hug :lol: :lol:
Dave:)

woodguy1975

New User
John
Beautiful rocker. Looks like you got the finish just right this time. Makes you want to touch it or maybe stroke it.:lol: :lol: What I like is it's not too shiney and it doesn't look like it has a ton of finish on it. How many coats of wipe on did you put on it? Very nice job John.

Mike

It has 3 coats that were rubbed down pretty good. My goal was to give it protection with a serious build. The wax set the final soft sheen.

woodguy1975

New User
John
WOW! Gasping for breath....... incredibly beautiful!!!

Where on earth did you get your hands on that cherry???

:eusa_clap

I got lucky when at Catawba Hardwoods one day. I bought about $600 8/4 cherry unintentionally. You've got to have a rule to never leave brilliant wood when you find it. I swear I beleive this could have been the same tree as the 4/4 wood I used for that table. The one burly board yeiled the entire seat, crest rail, and one arm. It is brilliant.

PurpleThumb

New User
Jerry
I'm glad I got to see it (touch it) in person. Your photo's are incredible as is the chair (rocker). Any way you would email me the photo's so I can share with LOML? I can't seem to lift them from here.

woodguy1975

New User
John
I can email them to you from my home computer. You can't right click and save as??

That might be protection from my gallery software. I'll look into it.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS