Edge sander restoration COMPLETE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Re: restoration in progress: edge sander

Jay - found this thread late but I'm totally sucked in. I've always been fascinated by the restoration projects and it's a great treat to see one documented start to finish. Thanks!!!!!!!

The North American Rockwell tag was an inventory asset tag. North American was the Aircraft manufacturing arm of Rockwell. They produced the T-6 Texan, T-28, The P-51 Mustang, F-86 Saber, F-100 Super Saber, A-5 vigilante, Ov-10 Bronco, and the one I worked on for them, The B-1B bomber. There were North American plants in Columbus, Ohio, Tulsa OK, and a couple in California at Palmdale and Downey. They also built the Apollo Comand/service module and the second stage of the Saturn 5. That sander could have come from any of those places. You have a piece there that was a part of a great aerospace company with a very large impact on this country. They were sold to Boeing in 1996.

How cool is that!?!?!?

Being a person who needs an hour and a couple of band-aids to get the shrink wrap off of a CD, I'm amazed at your work with this machinery. I understand absolutely nothing about what you're doing, and yet I'm fascinated by it. Looking forward to more pix and the conclusion of this most interesting thread.

Ernie

I completely agree!

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Re: restoration in progress: edge sander

Very very cool Jay - thanks for the clips too!

I'm really enjoying following you as you breathe new life into this beast. And that is one big honkin' motor!

C.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Jay,

Thanks for this description of the restoration. I didn't understand much of what you did, but then again I get a feeling of accomplishment by restoring a point on a #2 pencil. This was very interesting none-the-less. Thanks for taking the time to document your work.

Ernie

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Another nice restoration!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I missed how you made the table and platen- ply and stiffeners or torsion box?

What did you get rid of to make space for this beast? Do you plan to store some of this stuff at your Dad's place?

Even if you don't start the house for a few years, you need to plat the lot, figure out where you're going to put the house and shop, and start building the new shop. You should have enough lumber by now.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Excellent restoration there, Jay!!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

You have definately a bunch more years to that piece of gear.

Thanks for sharing all of the resto detail.

Wayne

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Wow, that is an impressive machine, and a terrific restoration. I bet you could taper four table legs with a 1/2" taper with this beast in 6 minutes flat :)

BWSmith

New User
BW
Thanks for sharing!

Its funny how small things go either,un-noticed or un-acknowleged.Have been "rolling my own" dust collection parts for years.Did a 16 G,bolt-on "hood" for the end of an old edge sander here,on Sat.(finished,painted,installed,tested).

So,even though its a small item....it was of great interest looking at the dust hood on your sander.Further.....as someone who started machine design out of necessity(custom work/poverty),and have been developing special "tooling" now for alooong time.....it was also of interest that your sander was "homespun" so to speak.It gives glimpses into the past that honestly,usually also go un-noticed.BW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS