DaveO's scraps live on (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapwood

New User
Roger
The western cedar scraps DaveO gave me were repurposed for FIL gift. Completed just in the nick of time 8-O

Butterflyhouse_1.jpg

Butterflyhouse_2.jpg

Of course it took me way too many hours for such a simple project, but FIL was happy. I challenged myself to do it the hard way . . . no nails :lol:

I employed stopped dadoes and biscuit joinery.

Sapwood

jmauldin

New User
Jim
Beautiful. I know the butterflies will appreciate their high tech condo. In the plans I have read they call for placing a piece of bark on the inside. Did you do that and if so what did you use, how did you attach it?
Jim in Mayberry

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Way Cool Roger!!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap That stand(dowel?) really makes it look really swell! The overall symetry of the slots/doors look great!

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Roger that is awesome!!! I am glad to see my scrap be put to good use :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Dave:)

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Great job. :eusa_danc :eusa_danc How did you cut the slots? Did you put anything on the wood or are you going to let it age naturally? Oh, and how much rent are you charging the butterflys for their new condo?:lol:

sapwood

New User
Roger
Monty said:
Looks really nice! I didn't know you could build a house for butterflies.
Of course, you can build a house for butterflies. ;-)
But alas, I've yet to observe tenants express any desire to live in them other than wasps. :crybaby2: Theoretically, one places twigs, bark, etc., inside. However, butterflies only seem to be interested in nectar/pollen and pheromones. :lol: So stick with flowering plants, especially bee balm and native hibiscus (rose mallow) and don't use cedar which repels insects :eusa_whis

Sapwood

Edit after being busted by Earl! I did use nails for the swinging door :slap:

Matt

New User
Matt Willis
I'm glad someone said it was a butterfly house. I was wondering how the birds would like squeezing in sideways... :eusa_thin

BTW: Nice work Roger

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Great job Roger.:icon_thum That turned out really nice. It will be interesting to see how soon the tenets start to move in.

D L

cskipper

Cathy
I didn't know that butterflies liked houses - a job very well done. I'm sure that you FIL was pleased! Just goes to show that someone's scrap wood is another's next project :lol: !

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Roger,

I haven't gotten any butterflies to move in to the houses in my yard either. I did put a long chunk of pine bark in the houses. I just heard from a gardener that the butterflies have to grow up in the area of the house before they will use it. The advice was to plant some milkweed or other plants that their catepillars like to munch on and when they become butterflies, they will stay nearby.

Ray

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Roger, That is one upscale house you got there. I really like the proportions.

I guess that project would be considered a great use of scrapwood by Sapwood, huh! :lol: :lol:

I also wonder about the dowel sharpening? How'd you do it?

Chuck

J

jeff...

Wife had me plant 3 butterfly bushes several years ago. When they are in bloom, they are covered in butterfly's and bees and humming birds, etc...

They bloom all summer long, if prune back the spent flower clusters...

http://springhillnursery.com/product.asp?pn=57919&sid=405797&EID=GL0000000489

Just a thought...

Ray Martin said:
Roger,

I haven't gotten any butterflies to move in to the houses in my yard either. I did put a long chunk of pine bark in the houses. I just heard from a gardener that the butterflies have to grow up in the area of the house before they will use it. The advice was to plant some milkweed or other plants that their catepillars like to munch on and when they become butterflies, they will stay nearby.

Ray

DavidF

New User
David
sapwood said:
and don't use cedar which repels insects :eusa_whis

Sapwood

Edit after being busted by Earl! I did use nails for the swinging door :slap:

But you used ceder!!! do you mean don't use aromatic ceder?

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Post a pic once the cedar grays. I built one, and thay graying helps it belend in better between our butterfly bushes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS