Curly Redwood Seachest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Finally finished the sea chest now I need to focus on the boat :)

This is my version of a 18th century seafarers chest using Curly Redwood, copper rosehead nails, ERC bottom and dogwood runners. The cleats are Curly redwood as well and the till inside the chest has a lid of walnut crotch feather.

I substituted copper strap hinges instead of the wimpy brass piano hinge on the plans shown in wooden boat magazine.

The plans.. then the product. Other Original seachests I have seen have more a slant like mine.. will post the original cut list that shows this box.. It ain't small !

Attachments

• chest1.jpg
    chest1.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 182
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 206
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 200
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 195
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 198
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 220

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Great Chest:icon_thum and the redwood is awesome. Nice dovetails too:eusa_danc

pete

Travis

New User
Travis
Too cool. The figure and colors really shine. What is the large block of wood inside the chest?

sapwood

New User
Roger
Kyle, you certainly superseded the original. The sturdy style is perfect and the beauty of the wood is beyond expression.

Thanks for sharing and looking forward to the boat :mrgreen:

Roger

skeeter

New User
Charles
That looks like a very sturdy chest. Great design! I really like the DT's and the figure of the wood.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Great spin on the original design. Fine joinery and beautiful wood. Very cool if you ask me!! :icon_thum

Chuck

M

McRabbet

Kyle -- you need to add your best picture of that beauty to the calendar contest gallery -- or maybe a composite with the outside and lid open. The grain match on the top is excellent! Am I correct in guessing that the wood exposed inside is actually the top of the seaman's "safe", much like that found on old dowry chests for storage of valuables?

Beautiful piece, mate!

Rob

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Wonderful work, Kyle!!!!!!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_danc :eusa_danc

I particularly like the DT's and graceful angle on the chest! Really looks rustic with the wooden hanger's for the rope handles!! Oh! And hardware selection is perfect with all of that grain popping curly redwood.

What's the finish?

Great job! Definitely an entry of the calendar contest!

Way to go!

Wayne

J

jeff...

Very cool Kyle, I really like "things of the sea" it's got a certain theme and purpose in life. Thats one heavy duty chest just right for a voyage at sea. :icon_thum

dozer

Mike
Fantastic job on the chest. If you get anymore wood like that say in a bowl blank or small scrap please let me know.

DaveT

New User
Dave Tenhoeve
That is a fine piece of work Kyle! Love the angle and the dovetails. Can't wait to see what you do for the boat!

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Rob,

The till is the special compartment to keep small keepsakes and valuables.

the finish was 2 coats of minwax rub on poly and 2 coats of blonde shellac and 2 final coats of johnsons paste wax..

I will put into the contest..

thanks for all the compliments..Now I just need "treasure" to fill it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors