CL find, price too high?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Ken,

Dad and I are glad we could help. I'm sure you will be happy with the lathe. They are very addicting. The first go looks great.

Ken Kimbrell

New User
Ken
Ken,

Dad and I are glad we could help. I'm sure you will be happy with the lathe. They are very addicting. The first go looks great.

Thanks Kevin.
But, you guys need to quit saying that my first trial run looks good... you haven't seen it up close. :rolf:

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
For a first project - may I suggest a candlestick? Fairly straightforward spindle turning...

C.

Ken Kimbrell

New User
Ken
Just a quick update:

After getting everything together, including the stand, it turns out that the height was way too low for me... everything that I've been reading suggests that the spindle should be about even with your elbow or maybe even a bit more, so the stock setup with the supplied stand was about 41 inches making it roughly a foot to low for me. :eek:

As it happens an old kitchen sink base was serving as a sanding/grinder station and after using it to mount the lathe and adding a set of three inch casters the spindle height comes up to 52 inches and that's just right for me. :cool:
The supplied metal stand also had a lot of flex and vibration, but the wooden base has very little vibration and no flex of course.
24mw1t3.jpg

And, this looks really rough, but my practice pieces are getting better. My sharpening skills are real sad, but that is getting better as well... maybe if I find some lessons on sharpening the work would get better faster. :cool:
33p3mf5.jpg

The only big issue that I've seen so far is run out on my G3... but that will be for a new topic.

Grumpybear

Gary
User
Take a look online at utube.com for turning on a wood lathe. Also, I rented some videos from Woodcraft and watched them over and over and over! Are you using standard tools rather than the "new" e z tools?

Ken Kimbrell

New User
Ken
Thanks Gary.

The tools are the HF HSS set that they have on sale... a long way from the best of course, but for someone like me just getting started they are probably the better way to go. I'm likely to burn up at least one of them just trying to learn how to sharpen. :rolf:

As for the videos, I've been watching YouTube already, but the rental tip is something that didn't occur to me, so you can bet that is something that I'll follow up on. :icon_thum

Last edited:

JCraig

New User
Jerry
Thanks Kevin.
But, you guys need to quit saying that my first trial run looks good... you haven't seen it up close. :rolf:

Ken, Remember we are using our first turnings as a reference to comment on your first turning. So......your turning looks great! :wsmile:

wood magnet

New User
kevin
How about some garden dibbers/dibbles.
dibbers3.jpg

They are easy to do and make great gifts
to give to your gardening friends. :wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors