Bunk Beds WIP - Build complete now on to finishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Re: Vacation Pictures!!!! (Really Bunk Beds WIP)

Looking great, Travis!

It would appear that you are in the home stretch.:eusa_danc

Wayne

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis

Well, didn't get as far today as I hoped. I wanted to complete assembly (including cutting the slats) and maybe even get a start on the poly. Well, things didn't go as quickly as I'd hoped but I still made some progress. I've got two more ladder rungs to attach then I can start on the slats. At least now you can tell what it is!
Week_2_-_Ladder_Assembly.jpg

View image in gallery

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member

Hey, it looks like bunk beds! :thumbs_up

Looking good Travis.

yanmarman2007

New User
Jody

Looking good, brings back memories from my childhood. Nothing like a body slam off of the top bunk.

sbarnhardt

New User
Barney

Looking good!!

How many pieces does this break down into for moving into the house?

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis

Looking good!!

How many pieces does this break down into for moving into the house?

A lot. All the slats, each bed rail comes off as well as the ladder and safety rails. The end pieces stay as one...

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis

Thanks for all the kind words. Things are moving a bit slower as I'm working around real life. As was mentioned earlier I'm definitely in the home stretch. I got the ladder and slats built today and as I was completing the last ladder rung I discovered I made my first major mistake.:swoon: There were plenty of minor ones along the way that I'd probably be the only one to ever notice, one middling one that's pretty obvious but somewhat hidden, then this one. My brain must have shut down with homestretchitis cause I just blew it. I read the drawings and spaced the rungs 13" apart. Unfortunately they were supposed to be 13" from top to top. Sooo, they're too far apart and now way to close to the top bed rail (which was designed to be the 4th rung):kamahlitu:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:.

Well, I let it sit for a while as I finished up the slats to see if I could live with it. Nope,:wmad: it'll bug me every time I glance at it and I figure the narrow space between the top rung and the rail could potentially be a safety hazard (good place for little feet to get stuck). Soooo, rather than getting a jump on finishing with the rest of my saturday I'm going to have to start making plugs to fill my nicely countersunk screw holes.....

Oh well....

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member

Extra holes add character. :embaresse

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis

Had some evening time this week to get back in the shop and was able to correct the ladder debacle. Used tapered plugs to fill the holes that were countersunk and wood filler for the small screw holes. Turned out pretty good. So, the build portion is complete (doesn't the ladder look much better?).

Ok, so on to applying the finish. I've been experimenting with wiping on poly thinned to 50% and like the results. My question now is how to handle the large end pieces. For the rails and ladder parts I can just use painter pyramids. As I'm wiping on I'll be putting on 5-6 coats. I'd like to figure out a way to be able to to do both sides of the end pieces at once otherwise it will be another month before these things are done. I've had a few ideas but wanted to see if y'all had any suggestions...

Travis

jhreed

james
Corporate Member

Cant you finish it while assembled. The only thing you could not reach would be the bottom of the legs, aye?

Where are the pictures of the little ones that will occupy this creation?

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member

Ok, so on to applying the finish. I've been experimenting with wiping on poly thinned to 50% and like the results. My question now is how to handle the large end pieces. For the rails and ladder parts I can just use painter pyramids. As I'm wiping on I'll be putting on 5-6 coats. I'd like to figure out a way to be able to to do both sides of the end pieces at once otherwise it will be another month before these things are done. I've had a few ideas but wanted to see if y'all had any suggestions...

Travis

Travis,

I have been using Minwax Satin Wipe-on poly on my last few projects and find that it dries pretty quick. When doing "box tops", I use about four painters pyramids, wipe on a coat on the bottom, and can usually carefully flip it over in about two hours to do the top. Two hours later flip again. Not sure if this would work for your end pieces or not.:dontknow:

Your finish thinned to 50% should dry even faster, I would think.

By the way, the bunk is looking great. They are gonna really like that setup!!!:icon_cheers

Wayne

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
:icon_thum Great job and it looks like your really having a real good time. Hard to beat the satisfaction of a project coming to fruition, especially when it's for your kids.

Thanks for the vacation idea too.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Thanks guys.

The problem with flipping the end pieces is that they're just so dang big and pretty heavy. At this point I'm leaning towards screwing an eye into the bottom of each post and just hanging them up-side down from the ceiling. Would take up a lot less floor space and allow me to do both sides at once.

I thought about doing it while assembled but I think the final product will turn out better if I do the major pieces separately....

I'll definitely post some pics with the future owners once it's all done and in use.

Travis

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
For suspending the end pieces, couldn't you just screw longer bolts into the sides after you remove the rails and use those to hang them with? Personally, i would hang them sideways to decrease the amount of bending up and down when finishing.

If I was coating it, I would also put a bolt into the opposite (bottom as hanging) side that I could trap with a clamp to a sawhorse, etc, to stabilize it. (or rest the rail recess on a sawhorse). It really is difficult to wipe-on or brush finish, a swinging/moving target.

JMTCW

Go

Truefire

New User
Chris
Mt Gomer pretty cool. Neat project and one you will be proud of for years to come, if you are like myself. I had a custom bed in possession for over 10 years and the better part of having a custom built bed is that you are ensured it's the best of the market.

You simply cannot find quality furniture or merchandise hardly any longer in North America, but if you build it yourself you "know what you are getting" plus just think of all the fun we have doing this stuff called woodworking.

Heck i love making sawdust.

Chris

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Chris,

Exactly why I'm doing it. They kids share a room when they're at their mother's house (new situation) and I didn't want them sleeping in some $100 WalMart special. I'll feel a lot better knowing they're in these and that they'll think of me every time they climb in.

Travis

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
The most rewarding investment you will ever make is in your children. Neither cash nor personal possesions can compare.
Thanks for sharing.
James

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
......"It really is difficult to wipe-on or brush finish, on a swinging/moving target."
:rotflm:
JMTCW

Go[/QUOTE]

this could be a real challenge....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors