Black Cherry from Randy(The Woodbutcher)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Randy again it was great to meet you.

I took some of the Black Cherry tonight and decided to turn a honey dipper with it. This is only the second one I have done. The wood smells great as your turning it.

Here is a picture of the dipper. I don't care for it to much I should have made more of a buldge in it.

IMG_1130.jpg

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I think it looks great. You are really getting this turning thing down to a science. I need to take lessons from you!!

Rod

New User
Rod
Looks great to me. I just got a black cherry tree with a few burls in it. I am in the process of turning one of the crotches/limbs into a cane. I've never done one before. Cherry definitely smells good when you are working it.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Rod

You have to show some pics when you get it done. The shop smelled good after turning it. Hey I just saw you are in Valle Crucis. I am jealous. My wife and I want to end up there one of these days.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
I will end up finishing it with Mineral Oil. My understanding is that most all finishes are safe once they are cured but I know mineral oil is. I just need to go get some. :) That piece is unfinished... Once I get some mineral oil I will try and remember to post a pic of it finished. I also didn't sand this very much, well I sanded it alot but ony with 120. Normally I will sand those to at least 400-600. I am going to do another one this weekend and I will sand it up to 600 and post so you can see the difference.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Kevin: What's not to like?? Looks good, pard. For something "round" that is!!

Keep on keeping on!

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Thanks Reggie. It is starting to warm up to me. I like the wood alot.

Don't worry I don't do all round stuff. :) I have a flat project coming up soon. Just letting the wood get used to my shop.

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
Randy again it was great to meet you.

I took some of the Black Cherry tonight and decided to turn a honey dipper with it. This is only the second one I have done. The wood smells great as your turning it.

Here is a picture of the dipper. I don't care for it to much I should have made more of a buldge in it.

IMG_1130.jpg

Cool, I couldn't find it to start with. Thanks for showing us.
You sand that on the lath right??

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Wow, that's beautiful! I wonder why it's called Black Cherry though, I've never seen lighter cherry wood than that. Must be the same logic that Soft Maple is actually quite hard.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Cool, I couldn't find it to start with. Thanks for showing us.
You sand that on the lath right??

Yep.. I use little 1" strips of Sand Paper that I get from Harbor Freight and sand it while it is spinning. Typically I sand it all the way to a minimum of 400 but for some reason I got all mixed up last night and only did 120 on this one. Still turned out great. I am going to make some more from this. I will post them as I get them done.

Bas I don't know why they call it black cherry the two pieces that I have turned have been about that same coloring. I have a couple of pieces that look a little darker. I will pull those out and turn another dipper and see how they turn out. I need to get a few done for Christmas anyway.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Wow, that's beautiful! I wonder why it's called Black Cherry though, I've never seen lighter cherry wood than that. Must be the same logic that Soft Maple is actually quite hard.

I think it is the fruit color that gives it the name.

Variety_Photos.jpg

Tartarian is simetimes called Black Tartarian; I don't know if that is the specific type that the lumber somes from or not.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Andy now that just makes to much sense. :) I would have never thought of that. Guess I need to eat some wheaties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS