Advice needed for new lathe purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Get experience first

why rush into getting a lathe. Why not take a class, which is what is recommended by the recommended reference articles.

There is a Woodcraft store about 100 miles from you in Leesburg, VA. Their web page is: http://www.woodcraft.com/stores/store.aspx?id=575
They have a basic pen turning class on December 11, in the evening and an Introduction to the lathe class on Sunday, December 13th.

I have also paid a little extra, by paying for a private session, six years ago. This was a whole lot better than trying to learn by myself, not to turn, but also what features and tools I might like to start with.

I inherited a HF lathe that was still in the box. Put it together and got started. I enjoyed turning a whole lot better when I got rid of it and went to a Jet. I enjoy turning smaller items: pens, pepper mills, small bowls, and toys, so it has met all of my expectations.

Good luck. I can't recommend enough getting some experience before making a lathe purchase, which will also lead to tool rest upgrades, nice chucks, turning tools, project kits, and finding wood chunks.

Pen turning is fun. Take a friend along to the pen turning class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS