Advice needed for new lathe purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

steviegwood

New User
Steven
Okay Folks, I want to add a lathe to my shop. I have no idea how much use it will get because I have never done a project on the lathe. I had the opportunity a few days ago to play about 1/2 hour on a nova lathe that a local man has and he showed me a limited amount of what can be done with a lathe. Harbor Freight has affordable lathes but if they are no good then I do not want to go that route. What are things that are have too haves and what are nice to haves and what not. Please advise me? I do not want to throw away money that I do not have to start with. Thanks. Steve

steviegwood

New User
Steven
Steve it really depends on what you want to turn and how much space you have. Mini's and Midi's made by Jet and Delta are great for small stuff (bottle stoppers, spinning tops. pens, vases, and bowls up to 8"). Keep an eye on CL or how about this one:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=759
Room is no problem. I was told to get the biggest that I could afford. The one listed for sale here is capable of doing what? I would have to get it shipped somehow which would add a lot of $$$ to the price. Is this a good price on this used lathe with the accessories? I really can not put any value on the stand as I could build my own stand to fit me. I know I am asking some dumb questions but they are the only kind I know how to ask. Steve:rotflm::gar-La;

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Can you find another local (maybe the guy with the Nova can help) who has a mini/midi to try? A lot depends on what you are going to do. If you are going to do big bowls, then besides the larger swing (clearance) you want a more powerful motor that can be run at slow speeds. I love my midi, but it fits what I am doing which is mostly spindle work and a few small bowls and forms. If I primarily did bowls, I think I would want more than 1/2 HP (which is what I have) and the ability to start slower (I can't go much below 750). If you are going to use rough timber blanks, it is important to have a heavy lathe/stand.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Steve,

The HF lathe is kind've a toss up. Some folks have had many great years of use out of them and some folks have had nightmares.

I do not want to throw away money that I do not have to start with.

I would go with something of higher quality and not take the chance on a HF lathe. Shop Fox and Grizzly, both make a great lathe for the price. If you could make it down to the Woodworking Source in Mooresville (see ad on the right of the page), they will likely give you a great deal on the Shop Fox. Contact Rick Dinardo(spelling?), a member here. That's where I'm headed once my HF lathe craps out/when I can afford a new lathe. :icon_thum

As far as tools, there are many different options available depending on what you want to turn. Hope this helps. :icon_thum

steviegwood

New User
Steven
I can see myself making some pen/pencils, finials, chair spindles and I would like to be able to make some larger plates and shallow bowls. I am not going to lug around 100lb chunks unless someone else does the lifting. I want to be able to make candle holders and small boxes also. Steve

nelsone

New User
Ed
The small ones are good for smaller projects like mentioned above. I would agree to get at least a mid size if you are going to get one. You can always turn small stuff on a big lathe, but you will never turn big stuff on a small lathe! HF has one model that a lot of people swear by and there have been some mighty nice items that have come off of them. After the lathe you will need to by gouges. HF has a decent set for a beginner which is what I use. You will then likely want a chuck. That will get you off to a good start. The HF gouges run somewhere around $50 and you will be looking at around $100 for a chuck.

After that turning becomes a money pit! You will want new gouges and other accessories, etc.:gar-Bi

CarvedTones

Andy
Except for "larger plates", you sound like a good fit for a mini/midi. "chair spindles" may require a bed extension. Subtract at least 4" from the length claimed "between centers" if planning to make some things of a particular length, to account for using chucks, having some "play" to easily get stock in and out and then tighten, etc. I love VS.

kmcardle

New User
Kevin
Steve, it sounds to me like you will want a lathe that has multitude of capabilities. I had the HF type of lathe (still do for that matter), and it worked great to get started doing spindle work in particular, but then I started doing bowls and found that it was a) not powerful enough, and b) there was too much vibration. I now have a Powermatic 3520 which weighs in at something like 750lbs and has more motor than I probably need. The nice part about this lathe is that there is very little vibration that can't be tuned out, when I turn. I would conclude that the lack of vibration is important, and having enough power to work on hard, dry woods is equally important.
Have fun turning once you get your lathe of choice. It can be very relaxing to spin some wood on a tough day.
Kevin

Gunslinger

New User
Mike
Hi Steve,
Here is link to a web site with a lot of data for consideration on new purchases. http://www.nealaddy.org/node/39 The entire article is about 10 pages long so he go through a lot of thought process.
In the left-hand panel on the web site he also gives link to general specifications for about 75 different lathes with prices on most. He does not give recommendations.
In my opinion, it sounds like a mini lathe may be a good fit.
Things I would look for in a mini are
HP for large items (3/4)
Swing Many have 12" swing (Check the width of plates and bowls in your cupboard)
Spindle - Size and taper - Important if you upgrade later to a larger lathe to use the same accessories you have already purchased.
Bed length and the cost of a bed extension for longer spindles.
Most companies make quite a few models so a particular company may make one that everyone hates and another that everyone finds wonderful.
When you narrow it down to particular models then it is easier to get more accurate recommendations.
My club just purchased three minis’ for demonstrations, two Rikons and a Jet.
I have no personal experience with the lathe in the ad.

The next step up would be to a mid-size like a Nova or the larger Jets. They may well handle any thing you would ever want to do. Starting about $1,000

"Must have" and "would be nice" ..........the vortex opens up.
Tools about $100 for must. (Decent standard set and one bowl gouge)
Chuck Starting about $100 Can get by without one or with shop made chucks for many applications. (Assumes the lathe comes with a faceplate)
Hoped this helped a little but I think the website link will give you lots more to consider.
Mike

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Hi Steve, like some of the others have said - it looks like to me a mini would fit your needs - If you are wanting a new one here are a few links from Amazon.com and they are shipped free - If you can add the $$ I would strongly suggested the ones with the VS

http://www.amazon.com/1014I-Inch-In...ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1258131978&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/1014VSI-10-In...ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1258131978&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/PSI-TCLPRO-Tu...ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1258131978&sr=8-5

http://www.amazon.com/PSI-TCLPROVS-...ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1258131978&sr=8-6

http://www.amazon.com/SHOP-W1752-Mi...f=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1258131978&sr=8-12

Hope this helps and you have fun with your turning once you get your lathe

CarvedTones

Andy
a note on terminology...

Mini and midi are often used interchangably (Google for "Jet JML-1014" and you will see what I mean; FWW calls it a midi in their review, while most but not all vendors call it a mini). Mid size and full size are also often interchangable. Mid and midi are not.

sawduster

New User
Robert
Okay Folks, I want to add a lathe to my shop. I have no idea how much use it will get because I have never done a project on the lathe.

bro , you and i are a lot alike and I think the real question will be " how much use will my other tools get once I start turning " :rotflm:
I have the Jet 1014 VS and it is perfect for me. Bear in mind that the lathe is only the beginning of the expenses ! :BangHead: Tools, chuck, turning kits etc will follow in short order
from an extremely rookie stand point let me say that the variable speed is a mucho nice feature ! :icon_thum

Patience is what worked best for me. I kept my ear to the ground and had my money ready when the time came .......... FredP found the lathe and I had the ways and means to deal immediately

Good luck bro .......come on in, the water's fine :gar-La;

dave

New User
Dave
Hey Steve,

Hope you don't mind if I jump in here - I am where you are at... looking for my first lathe. :)

Everyone - I am right where Steve is and have been looking at the Jet mini's, but then I see that the Jet JWL-1220VS is only about $150 more and also Woodcraft has 15% off Jet tools Nov. 27-30th. If my math is right, that's $510 for this model.

Like Steve I want to do (start) with the smaller things, but I know I'll want to go bigger. Anyone think it's a mistake for me to start out with this model?

Thanks!

Dave

nelsone

New User
Ed
Like Steve I want to do (start) with the smaller things, but I know I'll want to go bigger. Anyone think it's a mistake for me to start out with this model?

Definitely not a mistake to start on a larger lathe. Get the most you can afford or decide to spend. Like I said earlier, you can always turn small items on a large lathe, but you will never turn large items on a small lathe. I have the JET 1014 and I like it, but if I had it to do again and could afford it I would have started with a larger lathe. Just my opinion!

By the way, it wasn't too long ago that I was in the same position and wasn't sure if I would like to turn or not. I quickly pushed the limits of the 1014!

steviegwood

New User
Steven
I think that I may be making some headway in understanding a little about lathes and want to know what you all think of this one? http://grizzly.com/products/Wood-Lathe-With-Digital-Readout/G0462 I was thinking with all that I have read recently that I want VS, reversible and plenty of HP. The more I read the more confusing it gets. I want a good machine first and then worry about tools, chucks and accessories. That Grizzly lathe is just under $500 delivered and does not have all the bells and whistles, but what do you all think and is there any good comparibles? Steve:icon_scra:eusa_thin

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I can't speak to thier lathe. I have a Grizzly bandsaw and love it. I know lots of our member own and like Grizzle tools.

steviegwood

New User
Steven
Maybe this can get narrowed down some more by me putting a price on what I want. Let's just say that I am willing to put $1500 into a lathe or $2000 with lathe and some extras. Please, what can I get for my money? I want quality tools if possible at these prices. Thanks Again. Steve P.S. I understand that I will be buying tools and extras forever, just get me started

DavidF

New User
David
Just to give another perspective on lathe cost to total spend. I went out one day to spend the minimum to get started on turning that would include some bowls. With coupons etc I spent $150 on the HF lathe. A great tool by the way. The dovetail bowl that won the faceplate turning for the calendar was turned on it. That was 10" dia and was an out of round glued up blank to start with. By the end of the day I had spent just under a $1,000! and believe me, I didn't go mad. With "good" tools around the $80 mark it soon adds up. Nothing would be more frustrating than to spend 90% of your immediate budget on a great lathe and then not have the tools to use it. Don't think that a great big lathe will turn out better product, people do get caught in that trap. I bought a medium price chuck (techni-tool) and some Sorby and crown tools, slow grinder and wolverine etc. I was turning that afternoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS