Search results

1. W

Splitting whoa's

I have four 6 foot long logs, I almost thought about taking to get it milled but into boards but I think that might be a waste given they are only 6 to 8 inches around. So I may just need to take my chainsaw and cut them up and then have my neighbor who has a small log splitter split them.
  2. W

Sanding Trick

They do make them, however I did not have any and it would have been a real pain to have to keep connecting/disconnecting the sanding blade for all the fret work I had to sand.
  3. W

Splitting whoa's

Ok so my neighbor cut down a hickory tree a few weeks ago and asked me if I wanted it. he has them in about 6 foot length's and about 6 to 8 inches around. it may not be the best logs. however I took my wedge and attempted to start to split the wood and it has not gone very well. I wondered if...
  4. W

Sanding Trick

Ok this might be posted in the wrong spot but I wanted to share this. I had done a scroll saw project and it had some tight spaces that needed to be sanded. I was irritated after breaking several Popsicle sticks with sand paper glued to them and then my hand cramped up and I thought there has to...
  5. W

Recent carvings

Holy Crap that is amazing!!!!! Seriously I have tried to carve and well it has not gone well. What kind of wood did you carve these out of?
  6. W

Mortise and Tenon Joints

Thanks for the response. I will the difference between them are. My thoughts were to start off with mortise and tenon with a hole drilled through and a dowel for some of the projects I want to build. Part of my goal over the course of the next year is to increase my wood working skills by using...
  7. W

Old barn wood

I found a barn last year on Craigslist for sale it was 200 as long as I took down the barn myself. Was a lot of work but got the wood I needed from it and gave the rest to some of my friends that like to tinker around. If you are willing to put in the time to research CL and google and stuff you...
  8. W

Mortise and Tenon Joints

I have been doing most my wood working with mechanical fasteners or biscuits. How ever I would like to expand my wood working skills to use more mortise and tenon joints. My question on this is there a mathematical rule of say 50% less the thickness of the board is what the mortise and tenon...
  9. W

It's a very difficult decision

Geoff I am terribly sorry to hear about this. I know from my own experiences that this is probably the toughest decision you have to make. Thankfully as he waits for you his respiratory problems will have been relieved and he will no longer be in any type of pain. I wish the best of luck to you...
  10. W

Thickness Planer Questions - slight digs at beginning and end of wood

Scott thanks for the correction on what it is called I could not remember the name of that to save my life. I thought of snipe but I hunt those fast flying things so I thought I might be getting a hunting term and a wood working term confused. thank you for the link I will have to see what other...
  11. W

Thickness Planer Questions - slight digs at beginning and end of wood

I have had a thickness planer for years it is a Delata 12" planer. My problem I have been trying to figure out how to fix is when I put the wood in it cuts down a little more on the entry and exit parts of the wood which causes me to take a cabinet scraper to the wood to smooth that transition...
  12. W

IWF Aug 22-25 in Atlanta

Thanks for posting that link. I might have to head down that way. They have some things that I think my be beneficial for my own business ventures.
  13. W

Lathe turning tools

When I first bought my lathe I bought a rouging gouge and a small spindle gouge, being new to these tools found that I needed to learn how to sharpen them. I found I messed up one gouge in my sharpening efforts on my bench grinder. Just some advice if you do not know how to sharpen the gouges...
  14. W

Suggestions on refinishing veneered furniture

Ok so I wanted to update this. First the paint+primer is not what it is hyped up to be. 3 coats of paint is what it took to cover this little night stand. The picture of the drawer is what the colors used to look like and the pink and oh yeah it is pink nightstand is the finished product...
  15. Nightstand

Nightstand

Refinished Nightstand
  16. Nightstand

Nightstand

Refinished Nightstand
  17. Nightstand

Nightstand

Refinished Nightstand
  18. W

Screw into plywood edge

I like this dowel idea. I normally have just filled the hole with 3 to 4 toothpicks and then drilled which has held up for me, but the use of a dowel I think is a much better idea.
  19. W

The Classifieds "Contact Seller" Link is Now Working!!!

I am glad you were able to get this resolved. Although I am new to this site and have not used many of the features it is always good to see things get resolved. I am a technology person at heart and by trade. If you ever run into a problem and need some assistance with it I would be happy to...
  20. W

What is the best way to sharpen a router plane

@Mike thanks for the clarification. I don't use too many hand tools other than the normal screw drivers, hammers, jack planes and smoothing planes. I figured this was just a different kind of plane with a normal looking iron. So I decided to Google that and yes it is very very different. It is...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS