Sanding Trick

Status
Not open for further replies.

workingwood

New User
workingwood
Ok this might be posted in the wrong spot but I wanted to share this. I had done a scroll saw project and it had some tight spaces that needed to be sanded. I was irritated after breaking several Popsicle sticks with sand paper glued to them and then my hand cramped up and I thought there has to be a better way. Later on in the day i was cutting up my Christmas tree with my reciprocating saw and it hit me. I could take one of the old blades grind off the teeth and attach sand paper to the blade, I could then stick my reciprocating saw in my vice and let it be an electric sander. Well I tried it and using a slow speed it works great. Just remember when grinding the teeth you don't create a sharp edge on the blade. This worked very well for me, I am sure it is not necessarily the safest way but it did work great and gave me fantastic results. Just wanted to share this awesome power sanding tip to get into small places.

workingwood

New User
workingwood
They do make them, however I did not have any and it would have been a real pain to have to keep connecting/disconnecting the sanding blade for all the fret work I had to sand.

ehpoole

Ethan
Don't they make sanding blades for jig/scroll saws?

Opportunity if not available.

Yes, and I love the sanding bands for those occasions where I have a lot of irregular detail to sand. For larger pieces I use my Rigid OSS, but the scrollsaw plus sanding band works best for smaller detail.

I'm not familiar with such for jigsaws, though. They do have carbide grit blades for jigsaws and reciprocating saws that are meant for cutting tiles, but I have not seen sanding bands for either.

Thanks for sharing the tip, I'm sure others will find it a handy idea when the opportunity/need presents itself.

g0a

New User
Joey
I ground the teeth off of a dull Oscillating tool blade and put velcro hook on it. Now i can use it for sanding odd areas. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358541056.288016.jpg

b4man

New User
Barbara
I'm always interested in sanding threads/posts! I hate to sand.

Some great ideas and solutions here! Thanks everybody:icon_thum

Ken, what do you use your "file" sander for? I have a $7. micro file set I got from Harbor Freight a long time ago to smooth the burrs off my scrolling projects. Most of the time they work pretty well. I'm a toolaholic tho and the link you provided makes me want to buy one:wsmile:

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
The project I was working on at the time was my Prairie Settle. I had been trying different things trying to get this detail sanded.

The straight part is only 1/4" wide made with a quarter inch straight router bit going just over halfway through from both sides of the board. So there was a little ridge in the middle where the two cuts met. I was having the devil of a time getting something into that slot that would be aggressive enough. Not to mention the curved detail at top and bottom.

This is the center piece of each side rail on the Settle.

The tool worked great for solving this little problem.

- Ken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS