What is the best way to sharpen a router plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I need to sharpen my router plane. I flattened the sole of the p-lane and the bottom of the blede on my worksharp. I then sharpened freehand as the blade is too short to fit into the worksharp and will not work in the wide blade attachment. I also could not figure out how to sharpen it using a standard guide and diamond stone but again because of the short blade it does not work.
Freehand on the worksharp worked OK but I had a little tear out. I am working with tiger maple and it was difficult on the jointer as well but I know my jointer is slightly dull (just afraid to change the blades as it is so hard to realign).

Does anyone have a suggestion for a jig etc. to sharpen these type blades?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
This is one of those times when you wish you had learned to sharpen freehand.

Now, you will have to put it the time to do it.

Look forward to finger cramps...

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
as long as the primary bevel is well established, it's not too hard to free hand. Just take your time (go slow) and develop a rhythmic stroke and check your progress often to make sure you're following the bevel angle. luckily, the blades are pretty narrow 1/4" or 1/2".

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I would probably clamp the blade in a vise and use a stone on it. I think the previous responses are better if you can get the hang of it, but for some odd shaped stuff I find it easier to make sure I am keeping the stone at the same angle while stroking it across the blade than the other way around.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I would probably clamp the blade in a vise and use a stone on it. I think the previous responses are better if you can get the hang of it, but for some odd shaped stuff I find it easier to make sure I am keeping the stone at the same angle while stroking it across the blade than the other way around.

+1

workingwood

New User
workingwood
Ok this might sound stupid but I tend to love wood working shows, yeah they may be like watching golf at times or watching your grass grow. Or you hear your wife tell you that you should make an dish hutch like the one they just made on tv and it should be a quick project because the guy on tv made it in 30 minutes. Anyways I watch a lot of PBS and there is an Episode on Roy Underhill's the Woodright shop (which you might find on youtube or the PBS Ipad app) that shows a great technique to take care of planes and how to best sharpen their blades. I have used the technique and yeah you still get finger cramps but found it useful so I thought I would share this information. In no way am I trying to sell an app for an electronic device or say these techniques are the best ones to use.

workingwood

New User
workingwood
@Mike thanks for the clarification. I don't use too many hand tools other than the normal screw drivers, hammers, jack planes and smoothing planes. I figured this was just a different kind of plane with a normal looking iron. So I decided to Google that and yes it is very very different. It is nice to learn something new. And thanks for not making me appear to be a bigger idiot than I was on my previous post. It is always nice to learn something new. On that note those planes look similar to the router stand I have for a dremmel tool, i wonder if that is where dremmel took the design from :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS