Splitting whoa's

Status
Not open for further replies.

workingwood

New User
workingwood
Ok so my neighbor cut down a hickory tree a few weeks ago and asked me if I wanted it. he has them in about 6 foot length's and about 6 to 8 inches around. it may not be the best logs. however I took my wedge and attempted to start to split the wood and it has not gone very well. I wondered if anyone has ever tried to do this with hickory before or if I should just take my axe and cut it up into chunks and use it to smoke some pork.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hickory is a bear to split. Even green it is no fun. That is why they make baseball bats from it as it is hard to crack or split like other hardwoods. If here is enough wood it may pay to rent a splitter.

workingwood

New User
workingwood
I have four 6 foot long logs, I almost thought about taking to get it milled but into boards but I think that might be a waste given they are only 6 to 8 inches around. So I may just need to take my chainsaw and cut them up and then have my neighbor who has a small log splitter split them.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
It can be done but you will need at least 3 wedges. start at one end and work your way down. a 6-8LB spliting mall is easiest to work with.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I can't help you with the splitting, but I'd be happy to put them on my bandsaw and slice them up with you. I've never tried a log more than 3' long - usually working with larger diameter pieces...and doing it alone.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Yep, green hickory is a bear but it's easy compared to green sweet gum. 6-8" in circumference or diameter?

A wood splitter it probably a good option, but they don't have to be cut to length to fit the splitter. Place one vertically with a horizontal 4 x 4 push block to start one end. Gently nudge the splitter until it begins to split the log without rolling from left to right or vice versa (rotate the log vertically if necessary). Then work gradually from there to the other end or put a wedge in the split end and continue with other wedges to the other end.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
+2 on Fred's advice. You may need to start the split with a sharp hand ax, and then use the wedge. (I use a wooden maul to drive in the sharp ax first, and then pound the wedge into the split) Easiest to split log in half and then half to quarters. A good froe will get you thinner after that if the grain is relatively straight.

If going to use it for tool handles (i.e. axe, rake, shovel, etc), those logs are about perfect. The smaller, younger trees yield tougher wood than the big ones.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS