Search results

1. tjgreen

HF lathe on sale

FWIW - $80 off this week, $220 vs $300. http://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch-x-33-3-8-eighth-inch-wood-lathe-with-reversible-head-34706.html
  2. tjgreen

saw sharpening files

Been on the lookout for a taper file small enough to sharpen an old 15-16tpi dovetail saw I bought for the express purpose of learning to sharpen one. Nobody carries a small enough file though, except for a $23 kit of needle files from the BORG, which is about twice as much as it would cost to...
  3. tjgreen

older woodriver planes?

Anybody know anything about them? I know Woodcraft sells some as an in-house brand now, but I came across a couple bronze planes stamped Wood River that look older, and I can't find any info on them. They don't look like part of the current Woodcraft offering.
  4. tjgreen

Woodwright school summer classes

New classes posted. Look like some really good ones too. Would love to take the bench plane class with Bill Anderson. Stupid family vacation. http://www.woodwrightschool.com/
  5. tjgreen

Search and rescue

Haven't had a lot of shop time for the last year - those of you who met me at the picnic saw me holding the two reasons why. So, been finding things I can do in small increments, most recently restoring and learning about hand planes. Figured I'd share a couple. Got these two awhile back at a...
  6. tjgreen

advice on coffin smoother planes?

I recently came across some wooden coffin smoothers for sale. I know nothing about wooden planes except that Roy uses them. I've only seen a bad picture so I couldn't tell you who made them or whether they're valuable, but I doubt it - the guy is offering 6 of them for around $25. I'm not a...
  7. tjgreen

Raleigh CL: Powermatic 18" planer, $250

Not mine - would be if I had the space. Seems like a very, very good price. http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/1729112166.html
  8. tjgreen

saw sharpening files locally

Bought an old dovetail saw for next to nothing to practice sharpening, but now I need a small (4-5") double-extra slim triangular file. Anybody know a local source? Struck out at the BORG, ACE, and Woodcraft so far.
  9. tjgreen

Sharp enough to shave with

I talked my brother into buying a replacement Hock blade for his #4. It showed up today. Figured I'd share his email: "Got a little excited after sharpening up my Hock blade. Man I got some dark arm hair."
  10. tjgreen

small yard sale gloat

Wasn't able to get to the Liberty Antiques festival, but I did pass a yard sale on Saturday on my way to Hillsborough. Not a whole lot of great stuff, but I did find some useful items - a brass screwdriver with a mini screwdriver in the back, a North bros (post-Stanley) Yankee screwdriver in...
  11. tjgreen

wooden hand planes - Forest, VA CL

Not mine. He's asking $20-25 each, but (and I quote) "will offer as sets first for a good deal". No idea if that's a good deal, I'm more of a metal planes kind of guy. If it's a super deal though, I want a finder's fee :). http://lynchburg.craigslist.org/tls/1664142945.html
  12. tjgreen

A clean shop is a safe shop

I was tuning up a couple old planes tonight. Took them apart, got the worst of the surface rust off the iron with sandpaper and #0000 steel wool, then over to my grinder to reshape the edge...shooting sparks directly onto the oily steel wool I'd carelessly left on the corner of the bench, which...
  13. tjgreen

First vintage planes

Been thinking about restoring old planes for my own use. Saw an ad on CL for an old Bailey #3 last week. Went by this morning and ended up getting: -a Stanley (Bailey) #3 in decent condition with all its parts - from Internet searches, a type 18. Should work very well in my shop for a whole lot...
  14. tjgreen

Router table size

Looking for recommendations on a good table size. Industry standard looks like 24"x32", I can go up to 24"x40", because that's the size of the melamine sheets I had lying around the shop. Opinions?
  15. tjgreen

Raleigh CL: Delta unisaw, $650

Went by yesterday to pick up a dust collector, and the gentleman mentioned he was selling this too. Looked to be very solid, and better than in the pic. http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/1669472446.html Not listed but also for sale was an Incra router table on a rolling cabinet with Makita...
  16. tjgreen

Turning help/demo?

Anybody out there in the holiday spirit, and want to help a newbie learn the ropes? I've been goofing around with my little Rikon mini-lathe for a couple weeks now, and I could really use a lesson or two - I'd love to give away a bowl or something for Christmas. Just hoping for an hour or two to...
  17. tjgreen

Unhealthy maple

Figure one of you forestry types might have some advice. I've got a maple at the edge of my woods. It doesn't look good - the trunk and branches are covered in suckers, and it looks like it's leaking sap down the trunk. It's a good-sized tree, and I'd rather not lose it (plus a hawk nests in it...
  18. tjgreen

Fan at half speed - electrical conundrum

I'm puzzled, hoping someone can explain this. I've been gradually finishing a bonus room for a year or so. Late last year I installed recessed lighting and a ceiling fan. I'd previously run a 20A circuit to the room for a microwave, but ended up using it for the ceiling when my plan for the room...
  19. tjgreen

Online auction in Rocky Mount VA - closing soon

Might be a bit too late since it closes in an hour, but check out the Blackwater auction - huge auction with lots of big iron and shop supplies. Some very attractive prices right now. http://www.irsauctions.com/index.asp?today=true
  20. tjgreen

What kind of tree do I have?

I'm thinning out some natural area around the house, and trying to ID all of the trees before chopping them down. Can't figure one of them out, hoping folks can help point me in the right direction. I don't have any pics yet, camera's out of juice - will try to post some tomorrow night if need...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS