Sharp enough to shave with

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjgreen

New User
Tim
I talked my brother into buying a replacement Hock blade for his #4. It showed up today. Figured I'd share his email:

"Got a little excited after sharpening up my Hock blade. Man I got some dark arm hair."
849837715_xGdyo-M.jpg

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I guess he wasn't used to "sharp" and it was hard for him to stop shaving once he saw the hairs disappear. Did he shave the other arm to match? :gar-La; :gar-La;

Chuck

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Nah, :nah: Sharp is when the hair jumps off your arm out of shear fright before the blade ever gets to it.

tjgreen

New User
Tim
Chuck, he's no stranger to a sharp blade, just to a Hock - he just likes to show off, since I can't get a blade that sharp and he knows it. If you have a brother, you'll understand. He graduated from Haywood in NC and is making a living as an artisan wwer in a shop in NYC.

Ray, believe he's using Japanese waterstones up to 8000. Some day I'll have to get a lesson.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Chuck, he's no stranger to a sharp blade, just to a Hock - he just likes to show off, since I can't get a blade that sharp and he knows it. If you have a brother, you'll understand. He graduated from Haywood in NC and is making a living as an artisan wwer in a shop in NYC.

Ray, believe he's using Japanese waterstones up to 8000. Some day I'll have to get a lesson.

I was just kidding in my first post. It looks sharp enough to me. No stubble or red marks. :cool:

Brother, huh. Now that's funny, a little poke! :gar-La; :gar-La;

Chuck

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
There is an art to getting some tools, most notably gouges, sharp but all you need is a honing guide, fine sandpaper from the auto parts store and a flat surface to do plane blades and chisels. I have a little Veritas rolling honing guide and use a piece of fake marble flooring. With a set up like that (around $20 invested), you can get blades as sharp as your brother.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
There is an art to getting some tools, most notably gouges, sharp but all you need is a honing guide, fine sandpaper from the auto parts store and a flat surface to do plane blades and chisels. I have a little Veritas rolling honing guide and use a piece of fake marble flooring. With a set up like that (around $20 invested), you can get blades as sharp as your brother.

Sounds like and excellent new thread in the making for the "How To" forum! :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS