A clean shop is a safe shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjgreen

New User
Tim
I was tuning up a couple old planes tonight. Took them apart, got the worst of the surface rust off the iron with sandpaper and #0000 steel wool, then over to my grinder to reshape the edge...shooting sparks directly onto the oily steel wool I'd carelessly left on the corner of the bench, which promptly burst into flames. Thankfully, I managed to knock the burning steel wool onto the cement floor and stamp it out before it led to a serious problem - all I lost is a year off my life and some arm hair.

Lesson learned, no flammables within spark range of anything that could spark, which is most things when you think about it. Translation: time to clean up. I never thought about all those woodchips, offcuts, and bits of this and that as what they are - tinder.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
wow. Thanks for the very important and timely reminder. I'm so glad to hear you were able to get things under control quickly!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Very good tip and warning. I am glad this story had a happy ending.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Good story with a safe ending.

I have two small fire extinguishers on each end of the shop, where potential for fire is most obivous.

near grinder(s) and heat guns, chems, etc.....

Some fires just cant be stamped out and need a fire retardant chemical of some sort.

They are not as expensive as a total loss or insurance deductible, claim, etc.....

Everyone should have, in my humble.

Fire marshall :new_blowi
matt

Last edited:

steviegwood

New User
Steven
Good lesson learned and without tragedy. I have a fire extinguisher in my shop also and plan on getting a couple of new ones that I can mount to the wall. Thanks for the reminder. Steve

tjgreen

New User
Tim
Good lesson learned and without tragedy. I have a fire extinguisher in my shop also and plan on getting a couple of new ones that I can mount to the wall. Thanks for the reminder. Steve

I've got one in my shop too, but thankfully didn't have to use it.

And now, a word from our sponsors on fire extinguishers. I was a volunteer FF for awhile, this was our standard spiel on public safety day. Most people get one, stick it under the kitchen cabinet, and then never touch it again until they need it, when it may or may not do what it should. First thing, want to make sure you have the right type - class A, B, and C preferably, A and B for sure. Second, they should be checked at least yearly to make sure the pressure's still ok, the pin is in place, no dents, etc. Third, for dry-chem models (most household types), you want to shake them up once a month to avoid packing of the powder at the bottom of the extinguisher. Fourth, you want to mount it out of reach of children or pets, and near an exit - you don't want to have to put the fire between you and the exit.

Oh, and fwiw, shop fires are not even close to the top cause of house fires. The kitchen has that honor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS