Router table size

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjgreen

New User
Tim
Looking for recommendations on a good table size. Industry standard looks like 24"x32", I can go up to 24"x40", because that's the size of the melamine sheets I had lying around the shop. Opinions?

Glennbear

Glenn
There is a woodworking axiom that says, "the size of a machine table you have is inversely proportional to the size of the board you are trying to work on". As Dennis said, bigger is better. :wsmile:

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I made mine 36" x 48" mostly to accommodate the Incra Ultra fence system. It is also used as the out-feed for the table saw and as an assembly table.

Router_Table_004.JPG

tjgreen

New User
Tim
Thanks guys, message is loud and clear - I'll make it bigger. Hmm...guess I could make it dual-purpose as a rear outfeed for my saw, will have to noodle on that.

richlife

New User
Rich
Thanks guys, message is loud and clear - I'll make it bigger. Hmm...guess I could make it dual-purpose as a rear outfeed for my saw, will have to noodle on that.

Yes, this is a very good idea. I wish I could do it. Did anyone say bigger is better? Having a good miter slot is an excellent idea. Rich

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Hmm...guess I could make it dual-purpose as a rear outfeed for my saw, will have to noodle on that.

You might want to consider what height you want the RT at, first. I found I like mine a LOT higher than the table saw. I think mine is at 42" or so. I'm average height. I've found that a much more comfortable height for routing operations.

Just something to consider...

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
You might want to consider what height you want the RT at, first. I found I like mine a LOT higher than the table saw. I think mine is at 42" or so. I'm average height. I've found that a much more comfortable height for routing operations.

Just something to consider...

That is an excellent thought. The router table I had years ago was much higher than my table saw. 42"+/- seems about what I had. Just find what's comfortable for you. Table saw height may do it.

Red

tjgreen

New User
Tim
Thanks for the tips. I've just got the top and dust bucket built for now, so can play with the height to see what works best.

M

McRabbet

I've had a JoinTech Cabinetmaker's Fence for more than 10 years and built this router workstation, but I added an 18" deep set of shelves at the right end (facing right) to hold additional accessories. I made the top 32" x 48" from a 2" thick heavy lab table that had been damaged (I cut off the damaged end) to mount the fence as you see in the picture below (a click on the picture will take you to their website for the plans). I recently bought a used replacement top for it because I bought a Woodpecker's PRL-V2 lift for my Milwaukee 5625-20 3HP VS router and the plate opening is smaller than the Rousseau plate in my original top (the replacement top is from another workstation). I have mine at about 32-33" off the floor because I prefer the control I have over work pieces. I do not have a miter slot in my table top because I do all of my work off the fence. If I need horizontal feather boards, I have a table feather board that clamps over the edges of table top and presses both the infeed and outfeed sides of the work toward the fence. Needless to say, I agree with the others that "bigger is better".

richlife

New User
Rich
Thanks for the tips. I've just got the top and dust bucket built for now, so can play with the height to see what works best.

I also agree with merrill77's height comment, but it's a little bit tough to pin down. My small router table is also at about 42", but for free routing larger items, I tend to use my workbench which is at about 32". For some items, I prefer an even lower height for better control. The ideal to me (given that lots of space is available) would be to make the height adjustable (and, of course, that gives me ideas even though I have no extra space). Keep in mind that I think the @42" height is great for most router table work, but when I have (for example) a large frame that I'm working on, holding it at that height on my small (18x24") table is a little awkward. (Let's go back to that adjustable idea -- for the first time, I'm considering dismantling my router station.)

Just to give you something to chew on, in my small finish room, I needed as much versatility as I could get. I have a couple of built in cabinets on one wall with an exhaust window and a 36" work surface between that I expected to use as a spray booth. Between the two cabinets, I set up the work surface to be movable in 6" increments from about 24" to 42". That way I could handle a variety of spray requiements.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS