Search and rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjgreen

New User
Tim
Haven't had a lot of shop time for the last year - those of you who met me at the picnic saw me holding the two reasons why. So, been finding things I can do in small increments, most recently restoring and learning about hand planes. Figured I'd share a couple. Got these two awhile back at a garage sale:
837354631_cnJ69-S.jpg

On the right is a maroon Stanley 60 1/2, in pretty good shape. On the left was a very rusty Sargent VBM 408, which I'd never heard of at the time.

Here they are today, along with a Sargent 409 and a Bailey #4 I picked up later. Pretty happy with how they turned out. Plus, you can use them without waking a baby.
876766134_CTpFv-M.jpg

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Oh yes, I definitely need to come and visit. They look EXCELLENT!!! What did you use for the "japanning"/black color?

tjgreen

New User
Tim
Oh yes, I definitely need to come and visit. They look EXCELLENT!!! What did you use for the "japanning"/black color?

Thanks Travis. You have more toys though, I'd rather visit your shop. I'll bring along my box of washing soda and battery charger :).

I didn't use anything for the color except a light oiling, think that's partly the pic and partly the patina that's left from the electrolyte process - turns the metal grey/black.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Plus, you can use them without waking a baby.

You must have a long line of hand-tool users in your family.

I, clearly, come from a family with power-tool heritage. My youngest (2 mos) sleeps best with noise. When he's cranky we set him next to the dishwasher and turn it on...he goes right to sleep. My two older boys sleep right through my planer, tablesaw and router. Thank <diety> for the small things in life!

:gar-Bi

jhreed

New User
james
Beautiful restoration. And you took one man's junk and made another man's treasure. I am not of the "throw away" generation. I like to see things that last a lifetime. You have given these tools new life, and I have no doubt they will last at least another lifetime.
Also, I am so glad that they do not have the inscription "MADE IN CHINA"

James

jhreed

New User
james
How about telling us your restoration process? I have a couple of old planes, but they look like the before pictures.
James

tjgreen

New User
Tim
How about telling us your restoration process? I have a couple of old planes, but they look like the before pictures.
James

James, here's a much better description than I could give: http://www.majorpanic.com/handplane_restor1.htm

Couple notes beyond what's on his site:
I don't go as far as he does with repainting, polishing, and refinishing handles unless there's no alternative (paint overspray seems to be common on old planes).

Once it comes out of the electrolysis, I use a scotchbrite pad and rinse under running water to remove much of the black film that's left, along with a brass bristle brush for any loose paint or old sawdust/gunk. Then I pat it dry and stick it in a low oven for a couple minutes to get rid of any hard-to-reach water. Then oil it promptly, since it rusts faster than you can believe.

To de-rust nickel-plated lever caps, I don't use electrolysis since it can remove the nickel plating (DAMHIK). Instead I use evapo-rust from Auto-zone. Works great, same black film as electrolysis, but parts seem to resist rust better.

At that point the rest is cosmetic. If you want it looking old, you're done. If you want it shiny, you can sand any unpainted metal with 220-grit paper, followed by 400 and 0000 steel wool, and polish all the brass, and refinish the handles. I've been experimenting and find I like somewhere in between - somewhat shiny metal, clean but dull brass, and just rub the handles with 0000 steel wool. Your plane, your preference.

Once you're happy with the way it looks, you'll need to tune it, and I'm most definitely still learning on that score - bunch of websites out there on it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS