Search results

1. J

Wine rack

It's a lincoln log style modular rack that I built in 2010 from cherry. I fell on it yesterday and broke off a lot of the dado end pieces that make it a criss-cross style. I'm gluing the pieces back on so I'll see how it holds up when it's put back together.
  2. J

SketchUp

In 2020 we have only two options: the web only version for $199 or buy the PRO version for $299. The last free version of SU was 17 and there are no more free versions to upload. The SketchUp Free version takes you nowhere so your limited to just two...
  3. J

Zoom classes with Roy Underhill

Each class is $10 donated to the Woodwright's School. [
  4. J

Woodwright's Shop Zoom Classes

Here are the first four classes being offered and the dates. You have to sign up and pay a $10 donation for each class. Roy will send you the Zoom link to log in.
  5. J

Mesquite box

A nice mesquite wood box from Ray Jones Wood Boxes in Asheville. https://www.rayjoneswoodboxes.com It has several trays with dividers for jewelry and the trays are made with box joints.
  6. J

SketchUp not supported

I used to upload SketchUp plans to "Resources/Project plans" but it appears that SketchUp is not supported after the site upgrade. Can Ron Natali add the SketchUp file extension to that forum?
  7. J

The Woodwright's Shop

I had an email from Ed Lebetkin about upcoming "Zoom" classes by Roy Underhill but I accidentally deleted it. There will be 4 classes but you have to sign up for them here. Sorry I don't have more details to post. BTW, Ed's Tool Store is temporarily closed to in-person visits but you can email...
  8. J

Bondo or Famowood?

I have some squirrel chewing damage to repair on an exterior door frame. This is one of 2 areas that are not too deep and I'm tempted to simply prime and paint them. The other thought is to use a sandable wood filler like Bondo or Famowood but that may be more difficult than necessary. It's...
  9. J

Eastern White Pine

I applied some Tried & True varnish oil (linseed oil & pine resin) to see how it looks. Not bad and the color is not as yellow as I was expecting from that finish.
  10. J

Eastern White Pine (EWP)

I recently got some EWP from the Hardwood Store (20 bf 4/4, 10' x 8"). It was advertised as "white pine, knotty" so I wasn't suprised when it was delivered a few days ago. The knots are grouped in clusters and there's clear wood in between them (42-46" maximum). That'll probably work for a...
  11. J

Laptop desks

Interesting but I doubt that they are practical today. Thomas Jefferson built the first one which he used while traveling in a coach. Building it looks like a PITA. It's 12 7/8 x 11 x 3.25. The 2 top panels, which are folded together, are 3/8" Jefferson's had 2 top panels which were hinged...
  12. J

SPAX screws

Do they have other applications besides general construction (decks, railings, workshops, sheds etc)? They don't appear to be for general woodworking like our 1-2" #8 wood screws.
  13. J

Replacement windows

Advice about Andersen replacement windows. Experience, pros & cons please.
  14. J

Thomas Jefferson bookstand

Finished it finally. South American mahogany with a tung oil finish and wax. The hinges are not mortised so it won't close up entirely like a cube without a string to hold it shut although I don't know that mortising the hinges would have made it any better. It was interesting to build but...
  15. J

Thomas Jefferson Revolving Bookstand

My introductory thread is here: https://ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.php?threads/thomas-jefferson-bookstand.69932/ I'm nearly ready to install the butt hinges after the top is trimmed to width on the table saw. I guess I'll need to mortise the hinges that I got from Horton Brasses or...
  16. J

Jefferson Bookstand

I forgot to post this yesterday. As shown it is upside down but it shows the dadoes in the back of the panels housing the ratchet gizmo. When turned right side up the panel can be held at an angle.
  17. J

A pause with some head scratching ;) Each of the 4 book panels can be raised and supported by a ratchet type mechanism to hold them at different angles. I'm going to put a dado on the back of the panel to house the ratchet assembly.
  18. J

Shellac flakes

I have some shellac flakes that I bought from shellacfinishes.com a couple of years ago and I wasn't sure that they were still good or whether to buy new flakes. One package said "check dissolution after Feb 2019" and the other said " check dissolution after Oct 2019". Made a 2 lb cut (4...
  19. J

I'm in the process of making this bookstand from South American mahogany. This picture is the one at Monticello and it's also mahogany with a "hand rubbed" finish-I'm trying pure tung oil now. Probably not tinted lacquer or garnet shellac, but TBD. A WIP in segments. The revolving frame is on...
  20. J

Mahogany finish

Making a Thomas Jefferson revolving bookstand from South American Mahogany (Honduran?) and thinking about finishing. I'm considering spraying a 2# cut of garnet shellac or a Mohawk tinted lacquer with my Earlex HVLP. I've sprayed shellac before but don't know how lacquer will work from an HVLP...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors