Thomas Jefferson bookstand

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Finished it finally. South American mahogany with a tung oil finish and wax.

The hinges are not mortised so it won't close up entirely like a cube without a string to hold it shut although I don't know that mortising the hinges would have made it any better. It was interesting to build but putting it together while adding the hinges was kind of a PITA. It does rotate easily on the lazy susan base which is a separate piece.

P1010009.pngP1010005.pngP1010008.png

Last edited:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jeff just curious why didn't you run a roundover or other decorative edge around the top?

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Now that would be a great tool for a student or anyone doing research where consulting various books and publications are being perused. I may build myself a version of that design aster seeing how it works. Nice project Jeff!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
design aster seeing how it works.

Do you want more information and pictures? I can open it up so that you can see what's behind the scenes. There's not a lot of information available about how it works and Roy Underhill's video about it does not give much detail.

Jeff just curious why didn't you run a roundover or other decorative edge around the top?

I could still do that and didn't think of it because there's supposed to be another adjustable shelf on that top piece which I didn't add.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS