SPAX screws

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Do they have other applications besides general construction (decks, railings, workshops, sheds etc)?

They don't appear to be for general woodworking like our 1-2" #8 wood screws.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Use them anywhere you like except drywall. Too expensive for drywall. Really great screws

Thanks Jack.

I got 2 free sample packs of Spax screws from Spax: Lag screws and wood screws.

RedBeard

Burns
Corporate Member
I’ve actually been having issues with them recently. I built some lumber storage racks and cabinet for my miter saw and they kept spinning out when the head got to the side of the panels. I predrilled and counter sunk but could not get them to suck in any farther. I got the same size PowerPros from Lowe’s and they worked great. I tried adjusting predrill diameter sizes but just couldn’t get them to tighten up no matter what I did. I used to only use Spax for general work but the last 3 or 4 boxes I’ve gotten have not worked well at all.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Interesting, can you put up a photo of the troublesome ones? as a note normally you do NOT pre drill for spax just screw them in, they are self drilling. Also exactly what were you trying to put together and what length screw? Might be jacking

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
I’ve actually been having issues with them recently. I built some lumber storage racks and cabinet for my miter saw and they kept spinning out when the head got to the side of the panels. I predrilled and counter sunk but could not get them to suck in any farther. I got the same size PowerPros from Lowe’s and they worked great. I tried adjusting predrill diameter sizes but just couldn’t get them to tighten up no matter what I did. I used to only use Spax for general work but the last 3 or 4 boxes I’ve gotten have not worked well at all.

I have this same issue when predrilling spax screws. I found I needed to countersink them just right to get them to not spin out. They don't suck stuff together like deck screws, I think the thread is less aggressive.

I've also considered trying some not from home depot to see if they're better

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I've also considered trying some not from home depot to see if they're better

SPAX screws are SPAX screws whether you get them from Home Depot, McFeelys, or SPAX. Home Depot doesn't have their own brand of spax screws.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Spax screws are self drilling and the heads are self sinking.

They are spinning out if you don’t use a tapered countersink and only drill about 1/2 waydown the threads.

RedBeard

Burns
Corporate Member
I was counter sinking as well. I never had this issue with them before and not having this happen with an older box. I’m not saying it couldn’t be user error but I’ve used them for years at home and on jobsites with no issues, until those specific ones. I’m aware you don’t have to predrill but some of the spots were relatively close to the end and wanted to avoid any splits. The screw length was also more than 1/2 the thickness of the bracket and I wanted to make sure they didn’t cross over each other in the middle.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
I bet the reason they spin out on you may be that the threads near the tip are smaller than up near the head, more so than most screws. This along with the serrated "teeth" near the tip makes them easy to drill them in without a pilot hole. Therefore you might need a little longer screw if possible. Just a theory or guess on my part and not researched or measured.

RedBeard

Burns
Corporate Member
I bet the reason they spin out on you may be that the threads near the tip are smaller than up near the head, more so than most screws. This along with the serrated "teeth" near the tip makes them easy to drill them in without a pilot hole. Therefore you might need a little longer screw if possible. Just a theory or guess on my part and not researched or measured.

Not sure. Length shouldn’t have been an issue though. I was using 1-3/4” screws in 2-1/2” of material. I’ve used them a lot before with no issue and doing the same thing I’ve always done. I don’t typically predrill but even when I have in the past I didn’t have any issue. I’ll just keep using the PowerPros for now and will end up using Spax again at some point. What typically dictates my usage of spax vs PowerPro is whether I’m at Lowe’s or Home Depot when I remember I need to pick some up.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
You are right, 1&3/4 is a long screw so must be something else. I have only used shorter ones for some reason, mostly 3/4" I have big boxes of construction screws, boxes of cabinet screws, and pocket hole screws I seem to use for the longer stuff.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS