SketchUp

Jeff

New User
Jeff
In 2020 we have only two options: the web only version for $199 or buy the PRO version for $299. The last free version of SU was 17 and there are no more free versions to upload. The SketchUp Free version takes you nowhere so your limited to just two.

Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 2.48.35 PM.png

waitup

Matt
Corporate Member
Thanks for the link, Jason. I was just looking at that yesterday and thinking how disappointing it is they don't offer a good free version anymore.

Richo B

New User
Richo
I have 15 on a Windows 7 laptop that I keep off the Internet since it's no longer supported. The laptop is old but I will not discard it because of the SketchUp which in its day had more bells and whistles than most free versions now. So I can't download content. That means nothing to me since I've downloaded most of what I need in terms of hardware and have created much myself. It suits my needs not only for Woodworking but has also allowed me to design floor plans for shop and lab design.

Richo B

New User
Richo
Shop design is exactly why I was looking at SketchUp. Trying to figure out how to set up the shop in what will be my new garage.
It has worked well for me in that. Since its originally an architectural software it handles large spaces very well. I don't have the full architectural version but the free 2015 version has allowed me to design my garage wworkshop, a full scale model of a warehouse building (both floors) and the three levels of Tryon Palace.

waitup

Matt
Corporate Member
Grizzly has an online shop layout tool

Just tried that and apparently it relied on Flash, so it is down while they are updating it to run without Flash. Jason's link is working well, assuming I can remember how to use the software!

MLB3164

New User
Marty
Hello....Can anyone tell me if the paid version ($299 Pro) is more intuitive and easier to use than than the free online version? I have watched a few YouTube tutorials but I keep sinking in the mud. Thanks

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I don't have the Pro version, but I would think just the opposite would be true. The Pro version has more bells and whistles, and therefor more variables/options to deal w/.

I use SU 2017 (free version) and it does everything I need for my skill level. When I first started w/ SU it was definitely not intuitive, and it takes regular use and practice. It's not something I can use for a week, then not touch for six months and expect to remain proficient.

MLB3164

New User
Marty
I found a free download of SketchUp 2017 if anyone is interested in a link. It is much more intuitive than the free web based version.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thank you - I thought I was forced to use the new version - just got it downloaded...

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
In 2020 we have only two options: the web only version for $199 or buy the PRO version for $299. The last free version of SU was 17 and there are no more free versions to upload. The SketchUp Free version takes you nowhere so your limited to just two.

View attachment 198173

That is a good deal. Solidworks is North of $4,000.00.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Willem, im not a huge fan of either package but you cant compare SW to SU. Not even in the same league.
Chris, you have used AutoCAD and Solid works, right? do you have a favorite? (maybe even neither of those?)

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Chris, you have used AutoCAD and Solid works, right? do you have a favorite? (maybe even neither of those?)
Well, if I had to choose one of those, it would be SW. I use Pro/Engineer professionally for 27 yrs now (solidworks came out after and is a knockoff)

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Well, if I had to choose one of those, it would be SW. I use Pro/Engineer professionally for 27 yrs now (solidworks came out after and is a knockoff)
ProE is a good system what little I used it (YEARS ago)- SW has more mainstream advertising / marketing now I think...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS