Search results

1. garymuto

New to me Powermatic 66

Congratulations. It looks like you are all set with some accessories too!
  2. garymuto

A finish for salad bowls

That's what I use too. I will heat it in a double boiler and add some parafin wax to it to improve the durability. I think I go 1/3 to 1/2 wax to oil. It looks like vasoline when it's cool.
  3. garymuto

Non Festool track saws

I have the Grizzly track saw. It works well but is not the most ergonomic. It works with Festool tracks. Dust collection is pretty good. It started to make some noise like a dry bushing so I looked to a replacement. I found a reconditioned Festool and bought that. The chip guard on the...
  4. garymuto

Looking for an accurate stud finder

I have the blue one. I got it at Costco for a lot less (~$25.00?) as I recall. They don't show it online so I'm not sure.
  5. garymuto

Fugi Mini 3

Congrats! You will love it. I can spray any General Finishes Water based finish right out of the can. I do use the extender though. It's really dry in CO so I get a better finish if I thin it 10% to slow drying. In Wilmington you may actually need to use the accelerator. I wish I could tell...
  6. garymuto

Crosscut Blades opinion

Totally agree!
  7. garymuto

Paper backed veneer

Oakwwod Veneer has some tutorials online that you can watch. Generally they recommend using solvent based contact cement. It works, I use it but don't like to smell the fumes. I have also used PVA glue. YOu can apply the glue like contact cement and let it dry for 30-60 minutes. It can then...
  8. garymuto

New Bandsaw Part 2

I have a 10-325 and like it a lot. I upgraded the guides to a Carter set before Rikon made their improvements. I had some issues initially but Rikon customer service was so good that I forget what problems I had. The light is useless and they seem to have fixed that by eliminating it.
  9. garymuto

Lock Miter Master Patented!!

Congatulations Alan! Great news
  10. garymuto

Lee Valley on line clearance sale

I picked up a couple of non-woodworking things. Not too much to choose from....
  11. garymuto

When did size numbers get so small on drill bits?

Glad I'm not the only one. I noticed in my mid-40's but at 54 I have given in to having reading glasses in the shop.
  12. garymuto

Epoxy filler

I'm sure it does but don't know how long. Mine turned a little dark after a couple of years. It's probably over 7 years old now and is OK. I find the 5 minute epoxies (especially Behlen) to have a short life of about a year or so.
  13. garymuto

Cutting Aluminum Question

I've used hole saws in the past. I always used oil but water might be an interesting alternative. Using a slow speed and oild I uave not had galling problems
  14. garymuto

Epoxy filler

I use West Systems epoxy when I need longer open time than a 5 minute epoxy provides. It allows the bubbles to come out when used as a filler where the 5 minute epoxy can trap bubbles. I have used it straight for a clear finish and used their filler which resembles a white powder. Other...
  15. garymuto

Refinishing advice

Sounds like you have a good plan. Let us know how it works out.
  16. garymuto

Tool gloat

Nice! Enjoy it.
  17. garymuto

Looking to bring in a Bandsaw.

I have a Rikon 10-325 Deluxe that's about 6-8 years old. I bought Carter Guides for it before Rikon upgraded theirs. I'm happy with the saw. I rarely resaw anything over 8" and I'm impressed with the results using a Resaw king blade.
  18. garymuto

5.5 Gallon California Air Tools Compressor $115 @ Wal-Mart with Free In-store Pickup

I have the P-C Compressor. I can use it to purge my sprinkling system. The largest zone has 5 gear driven sprinklers and it can do it. It's hard on it but i only do it once a year. $100 is a good price for a 150 PSI compressor. I never lose any perfromance when using a pneumatic nailer...
  19. garymuto

This NEVER happens

Congratulations. That is a great story
  20. garymuto

Refinishing advice

I agree with the above. I do this professionally and would use a good finishing sander like a Festool. I get less dust with the ETS and Rotex sanders than I would sanding by hand. Garanat paper 80 grit with light pressue will take the lacquer off without clogging. General Finishes EnduroVar is...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS