Fugi Mini 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

joec

joe
User
Just ordered this sprayer with the gravity feed gun. I am starting from ground zero with experience with spraying so any advice is appreciated. I will probably be spraying water based clear finishes, as I have been using wipe on oils prior.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Should work very welll. Do some research on which tip sizes you need then just practice

garymuto

New User
Gary
Congrats! You will love it. I can spray any General Finishes Water based finish right out of the can. I do use the extender though. It's really dry in CO so I get a better finish if I thin it 10% to slow drying. In Wilmington you may actually need to use the accelerator. I wish I could tell you for sure.

joec

joe
User
Not sure about the extender part but will learn. I guess it means slowing down the drying time?

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
In my opinion, You will likely not need to use an accelerator in this climate.

Spraying WB lacquers and wb poly should be pretty easy. I have sprayed Target, Deft, Varathane, Polycrilic, and ML Campbell. They are all very similar in how they handle. My favorite WB is Target coatings.

Adjust your sprayer to atomize well with the lowest amount of air to reduce overspray. For me, I tend put too heavy a coat on vertical surfaces and have to be careful of runs. The only way to spot them is with a raking light. Not sure why I do it, just a bad habit I need to break.

If you stain projects get some dye (I use trans Tint) and mix it with shellac or a coat of finish to begin doing your coloring. I find dye gives a much more even color with little to no blotching.

If you didn’t get it, consider purchasing the whip hose. It makes the gun much easier to handle.

These units do not do well with latex paint. If you want something colored, you can get the water based lacquers tinted. I have used Target coatings and a white WB lacquer from ML Campbell with good success.

Using wb finishes means you will raise the grain if you do not preseal and you will need to sand after the first coat to knock the grain down. I personally sand after the first and before the last coat. I have sprayed 5 coats in a daylight no issues. For me, I find it wiser to lay down thin coats versus heavy coats to minimize runs and drips. A lot of the time it will look cloudy, but it will dry clear.

I have only rarely had orange peel (took me a long time to figure out what that meant), and every time it was adjusting the air or fluid flow.

Although I like the WB lacquers, I have found nothing that sprays as well as solvent based lacquer. It lays down like glass, dries fast, and can be recoated quickly. The downside is that it is solvent based and without a spray booth needs to be sprayed outside. I remember reading Fuji’s documentation where it says to spray it wet like a lake, and in retrospect, it makes sense as the air from the turbine gets pretty warm. It is amazing stuff.

Cleaning the gun is straightforward. Run whatever medium you use for cleanup through the gun. I have stripped my gun down a few times, and only once did I find it was not as clean as it should be. If you do use the gun to spray color, be especially diligent in cleaning so when you spray a clear you don’t get unexpected surprises.

Good luck with your unit. You will love it.

joec

joe
User
I have a 25'X25' shop with 10' ceilings. It is packed with all the equipment, but I guess I could rig up some spray booth. I was thinking of putting some eyebolts into my ceiling joists and hanging fabric down to make a booth, that could be rolled up when not in use. I also have a large carport attached to my shop that would be good for outdoor spraying. I think a booth indoors would work better but do not know. Thoughts?

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Indoors is better as it is a controlled environment, and worse for dust and overspray landing on stuff. Outdoors you can spray solvent, although I have sprayed solvent inside in the past, I doubt I will do it again as the fumes are very strong.

If you spray inside, you will want a fan pulling the air from your spray area to outdoors to minimize overspray landing on everything as it will drift.

Jeff Jewitt has a great book on Taunton press for spraying. I just got it awhile back as a refresher as I am going to be doing a lot of spraying once we get past this cold spell.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Re: Tinting WB lacquers? Where?

... If you want something colored, you can get the water based lacquers tinted. I have used Target coatings and a white WB lacquer from ML Campbell with good success.

Travis. The only place I asked - my local Sherwin Williams store - declined the opportunity to tint my Target lacquers. Have you found a place that will tint Target lacquer for you?

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Re: Tinting WB lacquers? Where?

Paint stores will only tint their products. I have been told that Target will tint them. I have heard, I cannot verify, you can buy the tinting and add it yourself.

You could also check Horizon Forest Products or Wurth Wood Group and get them to tint their brands of stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS