Search results

1. lottathought

So my Garage Door Breaks down

So I had my first garage door failure yesterday. Never had one before but it looks like the spring snapped and I may have lost the cables also. Usually I am a DIY guy. But usually I am not dealing with a huge metal spring under stress. :saw: I have already read enough to know that I know just...
  2. lottathought

I'm back

Hi all, Well..we have finally moved into the new house. My shop is still in boxes...but at least the boxes are in the shop. So I started a project today that I have been meaning to get to for a while now. It am restoring an antique, claw foot, kitchen table. The finish is pretty rough but I am...
  3. lottathought

Questions on fine tuning my table saw

Here is the story. I realized that I was not getting anything close to sq out of a cut on my tablesaw and spent time last weekend aligning the table fence and blade. Things got no better. I discovered however that the saw was not the problem, my Incra 1000 was out of square. In fact, it took...
  4. lottathought

To flatten or not to flatten?

I need some advice from some of the card carrying smart guys here. Got my hands on an old Stanley 60 1/2 low angle block plane in really good shape. A couple of nicks on the sole but nothing serious. When I got it, I was tempted to whip out the granite slab and confirm that it was dead flat...
  5. lottathought

Questions on Flattening a block plane

I cleaned and am currently trying to flatten the Fulton Low Angle block plane that I have. I have a granite slab and have been using sandpaper to get it done. I have been at it for a few hours now. Turns out that there are 2 spots that actually have little dips in the sole... They are about...
  6. lottathought

Time to play "Name that Plane"

So I am about to restore another plane that was given to me. Best I can tell, it is an older, low angle block plane. There is no writing on the plane that I can see. The broken knob is made of Bakelite. Does anybody recognize this plane?
  7. lottathought

Something old...Something New

Time to post a couple of gloats. :gar-Bi I was in Sears during Dec and put my name in the store's drawing. Got a call a week later and was told I won a Gift Cert for the store. I had to use it by the end of Jan so I went out this past week and look what followed me home. Then...had a...
  8. lottathought

"Neither Rain, Nor Sleet, Nor gloom of night"

Got the presents for my son, neices and nephews done just in time. This year I got my hands on some original, solid brass Post Office Box doors. So this year, they all get banks. The wood is Quarter Sawn Red Oak. The Dowels fastening the tops to the sides are Birch. The finish is Danish Oil.
  9. lottathought

Freud Avanti 5 Piece Router Bit Set $36.03

Seems like a pretty good deal to me for a starter set of router bits.. Freud A91210 Avanti 5 Piece Introductory Router Bit Set 1/2 inch Shank $36.03 http://www.amazon.com/Freud-A91210-Avanti-Introductory-Router/dp/B000R4A0RW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1260886592&sr=1-1
  10. lottathought

Hitachi FDV16VB2 5/8" Hammer Drill VSR_2-mode 5.0 Am (Reconditioned) $19 + shipping

Hitachi FDV16VB2 5/8" Hammer Drill VSR_2-mode 5.0 Am (Reconditioned) $19 + shipping @ Recondition Sales It seems that shipping is working out to be between 6-7 bucks.. http://www.reconditionedsales.com/Hitachi_FDV16VB2_58_Hammer_Drill_VSR_2-mode_5.0_Amp_(Reconditioned)___i297.aspx Per the...
  11. lottathought

Sears 20" Planer for 999.00

Handles stock up to 20W x 8D-in. Cast-iron unit with all welded steel cabinet for stability. 3-HP, 230V single-phase continuous duty motor. Two feed rates: 16 or 25fpm at 20,000 cuts per minute. Digital display for quick table setting. Precision geared hand-crank adjusts table 1/16 inch for...
  12. lottathought

Picked up a fan today

So today I broke down and bought something that I have wanted for a while. It is a 1920's Emerson Electric fan. It runs OK but I want to restore it. I have run across a decent how-to on youtube but would like any other suggestions as well. Also...if this does need to have a new finish, how...
  13. lottathought

Questions, Gloat and a Sale

So I got my hands on a dust collector big enough to hook up to an entire shop system. (DC1100 from Jet)...Yes..pics are coming. :gar-Bi (If you recall, I got in on that 6" HVAC piping and already put that on the ceiling of my shop.) I do have a few questions though. The first is the power...
  14. lottathought

Book suggestions

I am starting to get the itch to do some carving. I really want to learn how to carve Wood Spirits. I have seen several books and all seem to get pretty good reviews. I am betting that some of our carvers would have some suggestions on the best book to get started?
  15. lottathought

Family Handyman magazine deal

Bestdeal Magazines has subscription to Family Handyman magazine at 50% off with coupon code .........HANDY Prices vary depending on the number of years you order: * 1 year (10 issues) - $7.48 * 2 years (20 issues) - $11.48 * 3 years (30 issues) - $15.48 * 4 years (40 issues) -...
  16. lottathought

Lumberjacks considered worst job on list

Thought you would want to see this. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123119236117055127.html?mod=yhoofront
  17. lottathought

Wiring questions for Niche above fireplace

Well I purchased my first HDTV. :icon_cheers It is the Samsung LCD TV and I am now working to get it set up. It will be going above the vent-less, gas fireplace. I already have worked out a good way to mount the TV over the hole. What I have not been able to figure out is how to run...
  18. lottathought

Holbren 2 Piece Dado Set (Read Description)

I was browsing the internet and stumbled across this. Thought a few might be interested. http://www.holbren.com/product.php?productid=3749&cat=0&page=1 From the site description... We have 1,000 of these sets with minor issues which is why they are only $2.00. We measure the 15/32" at...
  19. lottathought

A Whirlwind Weekend

What a great weekend. I had a pilgrimage of sorts. Friday, I got to go to Scott Smith's farm. I got the tour and had a great visit with him while getting some wood for Saturday. And Saturday I went to visit with Rick (rbdoby) up atPilot Mountain. I also got to meet his cousin (gdoby). My head...
  20. lottathought

Chopping Wood

My brother came to me a couple of weeks ago. He said he drew his boss'es name to to give a gift to at the Christmas party and had no idea what to get. He wondered if I could help him out. He gave me 2 requirements. It had to involve a hatchet..or axe. His boss is apparently always motivating...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS