Time to play "Name that Plane"

Status
Not open for further replies.

lottathought

New User
Michael
So I am about to restore another plane that was given to me.
Best I can tell, it is an older, low angle block plane.
There is no writing on the plane that I can see. The broken knob is made of Bakelite.

Does anybody recognize this plane?

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Probably make a good plane, German steel blade, knock-off of the Stanley 60 1/2. Look closely at the top of the blade, both sides, it "could" have "Fulton" stamped on it, although they labeled a lot of these with decals that came off easily. The plane was made in Germany by a company named Estes, and was a relabel for Sears & Roebuck sold under their Fulton tool brand name. Sears came up with the Fulton name from the fact that Sear's main headquarters was located on Fulton St. in Chicago in that era.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Ok, this is freaky, scary, surreal and maybe even supercalifragalisticexpealidocious?

IMG_01611.JPG

View image in gallery

Can't tell you anything other than we have matching planes with matching broking bakelite knobs!

Weird.

Jim

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
I used to have a Dunlap block plane that had the same type of knob for adjusting the blade depth. I believe it was marked Dunlap on the knob.

Mike

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Dunlap was another Sears brand label for their tools. Dunlap came after Fulton, and I think the transition was in the 1950's. I have an Atlas lathe that was sold under the Dunlap name. I guess Estes was a post-war mfgr started in West Germany, I'm not sure about their story. I found pictures of 2 other different Este planes, a #4 and a 103 style plane, I'll try to insert the pictures. Notice the red knob on the #4 lever cap.

lottathought

New User
Michael
Many thanks for the info Randy.
It is so much nicer when you know a little about the plane. I am still just getting down the basics of them...but I am starting to appreciate them more.

And I would swear you took pics of my plane Jim.
At least they look the same today. The Fulton sole went into the electrolysis tank today.
We might be able to tell the difference in a week.

There was room in the tank since the Stanley handyman came out and I finished restoring it this weekend. :eusa_danc:eusa_danc
Already gave it a run. I really like this plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS