Sears 20" Planer for 999.00

Status
Not open for further replies.

lottathought

New User
Michael
Handles stock up to 20W x 8D-in. Cast-iron unit with all welded steel cabinet for stability. 3-HP, 230V single-phase continuous duty motor. Two feed rates: 16 or 25fpm at 20,000 cuts per minute. Digital display for quick table setting. Precision geared hand-crank adjusts table 1/16 inch for every turn. Max 1/4-in. blade depth per pass. Safety switch features mushroom style positive stop with lock-out feature. Includes blade setting gauge. Imported. CSA listed.

Reg Price:
$2399.99
Now:
$999.97

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...ce&sid=I0084400010000100312&aff=Y&origin=prod

wayne

New User
wayne
You get another 15% off if bought before 9-26 brings it down to 850.00 with 500.00 for shipping for a total of 1350.00

mxracer

New User
Dan
I don't have the Craftsman, but I do have the Woodtek version and a friend has the Grizzly version. They are all the same with the exception of "frills" i.e. the digital readout on the Craftsman.

That being the case it's a good planer. Set up correctly it will plane great, and will most likely be the last planer you will ever need to buy. Seems like a good price to me. $850-$900 is what you'd pay for a used one in good working condition from what I've seen. If there is any chance to avoid the shipping costs I'd jump all over it.

My .02 cents.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
when I just clicked on the link, it shows as $599 now:elvis:
I just chatted with Sears CS on the $504 shipping on a $510 (after 15% off) planer. She offered that some store managers will order for deleivery to the store at the sale price. No harm in asking I guess.

steviegwood

New User
Steven
I just contacted sears.com customer service and they would not even tell me where it ships from so I could pick it up myself. She kept telling me it was still a good deal at $1000 because regular price was $2400. I would buy one right now at the $509 price but in no way can I afford $504 in shipping also. Any suggestions???? Steve :kamahlitu :kamahlitu :kamahlitu

mxracer

New User
Dan
Maybe calling your local Sears directly? I just called mine and they said no problem ordering it, getting it to the store and they would call me when it came in. This is a local "old style" sears but maybe calling around to some stores up your way you'd find a store willing to get it to the store for you.

To be honest it's tempting at that price even though I already have the same planer in my shop. :nah:

EDIT:

Well maybe not. :no: Been reading all over the place about this thing. Seems they won't ship it to the stores, won't allow pickup etc. Always a gimmick. :tongue2: Their original price of $2400 is way out of line for that planer and tack on the $500 shipping for a whopping $2900 and you could almost buy 2 Grizzly planers. (Grizzly is $1669 shipped, and has a 5HP motor) So all in all to me they are just getting to a real price point now. Still a good deal I think, but it's not as good as it looks on the Sears site.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have this planer, but mine is the mustard Powermatic color. It is pretty much the same planer as Shopfox, Grizzly, Steel City, Jet, and a few others I can't remember. Mine is slightly different as it has a shelix head.

For $999 with shipping, I would say it is a very good buy.

Overall quality of design is fair. Manufacturing quality is fair. The manual is the pits from Powermatic. Grizzly's manual is good and would be the one I recommend anyone to use. Making adjustments on this thing is not easy, but doable. I have learned a LOT about this machine fighting with and trying to get it set up right and hence have learned the manuals and specifications from Powermatic are the P I T S.

Still, if you can get it for $999 delivered, it is a good buy in my book. I can't say that I would pay much more for it. To give perspective, I paid $1350 for mine used (lightly used) and it included a Shelix head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS